Blichmann

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Blichmann might want to get a clue on servicing their customers. I've spent an hour trying to find the 9" and 12" rod for the auto sparge they make. Blichmann resellers have said nothing good about trying to streamline ordering with Blichmann. The resellers have no price on the rods which I'm assuming will be expensive for a piece of SS all thread. Specs on the thread count would be nice on the Blichmann website as well as A PHONE NUMBER!

Also, sell it as an entire kit with the 6", 9" and 12" rod.

Try contacting Blichmann directly through the website. I have an issue with my floor burner. They responded quickly by email and shipped out new parts in an attempt to correct the issue. Ultimately, my issue isn't resolved, but they have responded promptly each time I followed up with subsequent emails.

Join Date: Feb 2014 (I wish they showed the day, I'd be willing to wager it was the 27th)
Posts: 3, all of which are complaining about a perceived issue that he has apparently made no attempt at remedying before taking to the internet to flame a company

Looks like we've got another one...:smack:

deleted quote.

Nowhere did I say that someone has to be a member for X many days before they are 'owed' customer service from Blichmann (or any company for that matter). :confused:

My point was that is is rather silly for someone to join a forum for the sole purpose of flaming a vendor over an issue when they have made zero attempts to remedy the situation beforehand. Give companies a reasonable amount of time to respond to a complaint or issue before taking to the internet to try and drag them through the mud.

I guess I forgot how hot button of a topic 'Blingman' can be with some people. :rolleyes:

Didn't expect this from a Blichmann, or any kettle, even if it's made in a low-cost factory in china. It came right off:

1.jpg

Curious - did you tell Blichmann about this first & give them a chance to make it right, or come right here to complain first?

I try and give what's called "the benefit of the doubt". Now, had they replaced it and the exact same thing happened, then I complain. But complaining first just seems not-right. Like, had I bought something on eBay and just given them a negative feedback without telling them first. It's unfair, IMHO.

I came right here. I have no problems with it. The welds seems extremely puny, 3 point welds. I've owned several blichmann-products before, this would never ever happen on a G1. I'll just glue it or whatever. It's a handle. How hard can it be to make all of them stick to the lid?

Yes, it's a little rant. I expect top notch quality for the price, and comparing to what they have delivered before.

I don't see how talking to the people making the product first helps. It came right off, it shouldn't. If it happened to me, why shouldn't it happen to anyone else? It's about quality all over the line. If I bought something off ebay and it just came apart and I could see the machining was poor, then my guess is that it is like that.

In my mind its bigger than one or two pot handles. Its about low factory standards for what should be a very top quality pot. With all the money these cost, blichmann can afford to pay a quality control person. Just think if the same ****ty spot welds are holding on the actual pot handle (and they probably are). Someone could be burned pretty bad. A little quality control goes a long way.

If companies (I'm not saying specifically Blichmann are, they make lots of great stuff) making sub-par products, and no one gets to know it, because the company are always there to "fix it" (replacing) before the public gets to know about it.. I feel that's wrong. Make a good product and everybody's happy with it. Make a bad product and read about how people are experiencing it, then you should take the hint, fix it because your business is on the line. Shortcuts shouldn't pay off. I feel it's equally deserved to spread a bad word as it is spreading a good word.

But, this happened to me. Maybe I'm insanely unlucky, but I doubt it.

So, no one here has ever made a mistake. Not once. Never had something slip by that shouldn't have.

Got it.

*backs out of room slowly*

I have to agree with Slym2. Partially.

While I think it is beneficial to consumers to hear about issues with products, it is of no benefit to future consumers if the manufacturer has not been contacted about the issue.

I have to agree with Slym2. Partially.

While I think it is beneficial to consumers to hear about issues with products, it is of no benefit to future consumers if the manufacturer has not been contacted about the issue.

That's true. I got a bit carried away. But I can still contact them. The point as I took it, was if they had been contacted first. As I took it, they should be able to replace it "under the table", which I disagree in.

I can also get back here and say what a great customer service they have since they replaced it, but it doesn't change the fact that the handle was poorly welded on to the lid.

I think it is okay to PSA about bad product quality, but I would not rail on the manufacturer about it unless they refuse to own the issue.

No telling what happened the day your lid was made and in high volume manufacturing not every piece gets a thorough inspection even with the best QC policies. Could very well be they are having intermittent issues with the welding machinery and are not aware until YOU bring it to their attention.

Sorry to see you've got an issue there, Smelly. You're original post wasn't derogatory, so I don't see why you're getting the reaction you are. Even If a company fixes the problem to your satisfaction, I'd still let the community know your experience. Thanks for posting.

Sorry to see you've got an issue there, Smelly. You're original post wasn't derogatory, so I don't see why you're getting the reaction you are. Even If a company fixes the problem to your satisfaction, I'd still let the community know your experience. Thanks for posting.

Same here man..thanks for posting and just another reason to stick with cheaper pots and do your own "securing" of parts that dont look snug.

I personally learned to weld because of ****ty quality pots that scared me to use without some additional love by my own hand.

:mug:

I've never sent a PM here. I got a PM from Blichmann literally 5 minutes after I started this thread. I replied three times, but I still can't see my own reply in the PM-"chat" with blichmann. So I don't know If I actually sent their rep an answer.. Is this how it works. In PM, you can't see your own replies in the "PM-"chat" ?

I've never sent a PM here. I got a PM from Blichmann literally 5 minutes after I started this thread. I replied three times, but I still can't see my own reply in the PM-"chat" with blichmann. So I don't know If I actually sent their rep an answer.. Is this how it works. In PM, you can't see your own replies in the "PM-"chat" ?

Is there anything in the sent items folder of the PM module?

It took five minutes and I'm all sorted out. They got my back, as the Blichmann E. rep wrote. Even though I'm in Norway. So, Excellent! Apparently it was a bad batch which they sent back, but at least one of those lids slipped through inspection. So, the handle still came off. But kudos to great customer care.

QC on a product that costs this much should negate these types of "mistakes".

so then auto manufacturers shouldn't be offering warranties?

OP wasn't derogatory so much as is the title.

It took five minutes and I'm all sorted out. They got my back, as the Blichmann E. rep wrote. Even though I'm in Norway. So, Excellent! Apparently it was a bad batch which they sent back, but at least one of those lids slipped through inspection. So, the handle still came off. But kudos to great customer care.

Even with the most stringent QC programs, stuff gets through.

If Smelly-G or anyone else wants to complain about a bad product being sold, I'm all for it.
Blichmann or other companies can blame their suppliers all day long, but quality control has to be done somewhere before the product gets sent to a customer.
Blichmann sold the product, so if there are problems, they need to take any bashing that comes along. Its no different with restaurants, breweries, car companies or anything else you would buy.
The OP noted that Blichmann fixed the problem, as would be expected, so that should be noted as well.
So anyone out there that wants to complain first, please go ahead. I'd rather know about problems with brewing equipment and what was done about it, than not know.

Good to hear they are on top of the issue and already returned a batch of lids like the top notch company they are.

The title was clickbait. We all fell for it. :)

More interestingly though is how did the vendor see this so quick. Perchance? An algorithm that searches posts for their name? Or are vendors searching out disparaging headers? And if so, why? Guilty conscience that their product has faults? Ok, that last one might be stretch but….

More interestingly though is how did the vendor see this so quick. Perchance? An algorithm that searches posts for their name? Or are vendors searching out disparaging headers? And if so, why? Guilty conscience that their product has faults? Ok, that last one might be stretch but….

Probably an algorithm that is set to find their name and tech support staff monitor the thread titles.

If you want a more outlandish tin hat kind of theory I can make something up. :mug:

Blichmann ...

First. I din't blame them for making rubbish products. I already said they make lots of great stuff. That handle was rubbish.

Second. I said that positive and negative word is equal. The handle fell of, I went on a rant about it. I also said that it was a bad batch which slipped through and praised their customer care.

But with that said. I could have shot them a mail telling about the problem and then post about my whole experience, from crappy handle to superior customer care. I bet somebody tipped them off since the word blichmann or boilermaker wasn't in the threads topic, but still.

Btw. Is Blichmann a "small" company? In the homebrewing-business.. My impression over here is that they are everywhere, and that they are big.

I like forums because people can talk, rant, praise and exchange experiences.

There's also a big difference between a lid handle falling off and a pot handle falling off. One is an inconvenience, the other is a massive safety issue.

I think everyone understands that mistakes happen and so long as the company makes things right then there's no harm done. The fact that they found this thread is a good sign. People have a right to expect better quality and better service when they pay more for an item, so in a sense the high-end products are more likely to get scrutinised than the cheap Chinese pots.

I don't imagine people would get much sympathy with a thread called "handle fell off my cheap no-name pot".

Ummm, BE has a presence here via vendor/sponsor account.

It would make perfect sense that when a rep is in here to see what is going on in the "Blichmann Engineering Biggest Giveaway Ever" thread, the he/she might do a quick forum/thread search for any other topics mentioning the Blichmann name.

There's also a big difference between a lid handle falling off and a pot handle falling off. One is an inconvenience, the other is a massive safety issue.

I think everyone understands that mistakes happen and so long as the company makes things right then there's no harm done. The fact that they found this thread is a good sign. People have a right to expect better quality and better service when they pay more for an item, so in a sense the high-end products are more likely to get scrutinised than the cheap Chinese pots.

I don't imagine people would get much sympathy with a thread called "handle fell off my cheap no-name pot".

You are right about the cheap no-name pot. But if you pay more you expect more. My first thought was WTF, Saving money on machining? I've always thought that those welding-points looked kind of puny on the G2's, (Got several in the shop I work for) and "finally" one came off. Never ever heard about an issue with the G1's.

Anyhow. I'm an apparently an idiot and I don't care.

I'm not really a Blichmann guy... for no real reason, I just seem to always purchase other brands. HOWEVER, I recently bought the RipTide pump to replace a very suckish pump that died after only a couple uses. I absolutely LOVE IT!! Better than my March pumps, excellent flow... TC head is easy to disassemble and clean, integrated flow valve freed up a ball valve, and the priming valve is worth gold.

On the flip side, I was interested in their Brew Vision, but it only supports Apple iOS. Contacted them, and they have no interest in supporting Android or even Windows. Fail.

Back