Blichmann Riptide Pump Washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I took the head off my Riptide pump to clean it and lo and behold the small washer bounced across the floor and disappeared into who knows where. The Blichmann site has them for .50 cents but with $7.99 shipping. I looked at BrewHardware.com because I needed a camlock fitting they sell. Might as well combine a couple of things to make the shipping a little more worthwhile... but the camlock fitting is sold out.

Do you think I could find one at Lowe's, Home Depot or some place similar?

Call or email blichmann....they may just send you one or two. They did that for me, after mine slid off the post, bounced once in the sink, and right down the drain. Took the trap apart but could not find it.

There's another thread on here someplace about the size of that washer and what you can use to replace it. If I can find it I'll post it here.

Ive managed to drop them down the damn drain twice now... luckily value home centers carries a nylon replacement for less than a dollar... I bought a few.

Item 8...

riptide.jpg

Cheers!

fwiw, thrust washers are sacrificial elements. I have to replace them on my 815PLs yearly and they're quite thinned by then. I'd likely end up with a rattling pump head and no sign of a thrust washer if I waited that long...

Cheers!

Can anyone confirm that slightly larger OD wouldn't be a problem? 100 of them from McMaster Carr is $7.10 if this one would work. https://www.mcmaster.com/90945a760
You linked to a stainless washer. Thrust washers tend to be made from nylon or better, PTFE.

A slightly larger OD should not be a problem, as long as there is no interference in the head. Double check for space requirements in that area.

Yeah, but they use stainless for the original one. I ordered a pack and they do indeed work. And my pump runs a lot quieter too.

Edit to add. Since the impeller is some kind of plastic, maybe they felt they didn't need to use another plastic piece?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back