Blichmann Quickcarb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettdow00

Reaction score
Anyone have one of these? I bought one off of someone and haven’t used it yet. Wondering if it works as good as it claims?

Works great. Other than the black China mans hair i can see through the pump casing stuck in there, I’m happy with it. You can easily build one for less. I had a gift card so not concerned on price.

Works great. Other than the black China mans hair i can see through the pump casing stuck in there, I’m happy with it. You can easily build one for less. I had a gift card so not concerned on price.

I figured I could build one pretty cheap. Bought one used for $75 so figured I would give it a try and could sell it if I wasn’t pleased

Maybe elaborate as to why? Seems like it was pretty well received by most...

Cheers!

I ran it as advertised and it simply did not carbonate the beer to my liking. So... I ran it again as advertised. It still did not carbonate my beer to my liking. So ...I returned it.

I have always wondered how well it could possibly work. Since you target v/v CO2 based on temperature and pressure, and the beer is running through the line for 45 minutes or so, meaning the temperature will keep going up, the goal posts will keep moving AFAICT. At any rate, I looked into it when it first came out, and my impression was that it just seems mighty Rube Goldberg, like most stuff from Blichmann Overengineering. Have heard from those who initially both loved and hated it, but nobody who stuck with it for long.

Much simpler solutions. If you want to force carbonate as quickly as possible, use a carbonation lid. Better yet, spund, and your beer will be fully carbonated by the time it hits FG, along with other benefits in quality.

I have always wondered how well it could possibly work. Since you target v/v CO2 based on temperature and pressure, and the beer is running through the line for 45 minutes or so, meaning the temperature will keep going up, the goal posts will keep moving AFAICT. At any rate, I looked into it when it first came out, and my impression was that it just seems mighty Rube Goldberg, like most stuff from Blichmann Overengineering. Have heard from those who initially both loved and hated it, but nobody who stuck with it for long.

Much simpler solutions. If you want to force carbonate as quickly as possible, use a carbonation lid. Better yet, spund, and your beer will be fully carbonated by the time it hits FG, along with other benefits in quality.

+1. It has to finish fermenting anyway, might as well take advantage of simultaneous natural carbonation while it’s finishing. Zero additional time is as quick as it gets.

Plus, a Blowtie spunding valve is significantly cheaper than the ‘Blingman’ Quick Carb.

The ~$150 + the time you save is a win, win.

Last edited:

Ive always used mine in the chest freezer so no issues warming up. I find it takes longer than the suggested 45 min to really get the right carb. About an hr or so. Or you can up the pressure a touch.

Easy enough to build your own and certainly there are other (simpler) options. Recirculating the beer provides great contact and should lead to more rapid carb.

If Im not in a hurry I’ll slowly carb the beer over a week or so w/out the quick carb. Otherwise Im using it. Works great for high CO2 vol beers line Saisons. Ready to drink in an hr.

Only downsides I see are the cost and the extra cleaning involved.
I usually carb 2 to 4 kegs at once in sequence. Cleaning only at the end.

Again mine was essentially free so Im not hung up on the cost. If it hadn’t been I would have just built one.

Actually have supplies to build a couple more (one for sours, etc). Need to track down one more power supply for the pumps i bought then ready to go.

Back