Blichmann Pro Pilot System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StroudCreek

Reaction score
Are any of you guys using this system? If so are you using the gas or electric system.

I’m interested in purchasing one of these systems also...so I’m following the thread. I’m leaning towards 10 gal gas system because I have a gas feed in my garage feeding my hot water heater...instead of running 220v lines x2. But I’m also trying to decide between RIMS/HERMS.

I’m interested in purchasing one of these systems also...so I’m following the thread. I’m leaning towards 10 gal gas system because I have a gas feed in my garage feeding my hot water heater...instead of running 220v lines x2. But I’m also trying to decide between RIMS/HERMS.

If you go with natural gas you will not get the same BTUs those burners are advertised at. I do NG on my rig with 14” banjo burners and get about 50k BTU. It’s workable and beats heck out of propane hassles but I’ve got to plan the brew around some longer times to get to temp especially getting wort to a boil after mash?

The other issue I learned with gas is PID controllers are a bit crippled as they can only turn the burners on or off not 25% on like you can do with electric. I suppose this results in less control but works well enough for my purposes.

Back