Blichmann Hop Rocket - Pellet Hop Filtration Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satisfaction

Reaction score
Had some free time today and decided to play around with the possibility of using the Hop Rocket as a inline filter for plate chillers. Having read several different posts, but nothing conclusive I decided to run a quick test. Here is how it went..

Scope:
Determine if the Hop Rocket from Blichmann can be used to filter out pelletized hops.

Equipment:
-March Pump 815 Model
-Stainless Steel 3M Scrubbie
-Hop Rocket
-8 oz Nugget Pellet Hops 2010 back of the freezer edition
-5 Gallons of Water

Process:
Heated the water up to 200F and dumped in 8oz of the hops, they sat in the water for 15 minutes to fully re-hydrate. After the 15 minutes, using only the March pump started the whirlpool without the Hop Rocket connected. The March Pump ran for 10 minutes to allowing for a weak rotation to take place after which the trub cone settled out another 10 minutes. The purpose was to simulate worst case scenario on my setup. The Hop Rocket was then hooked up in line with the March Pump and started draining the kettle.

The Hop Rocket was assembled and positioned upright as per the instructions. With only the inclusion of the scrubbie above the fine mesh screen.

Results:
The combination of a whirlpool and the Hop Rocket with stainless steel scrubbie is a very effective to reduce hop matter from entering into your fermentor. This experiment was only completed on hops and water only, I was bored and had a couple hours to kill and just wanted to see if this could be done. Will be doing this on the next brew day to see how things turn out with a full batch which will include whirlfloc and copious amounts of hot break.

The hop tea smelled pretty damn good.

One item to note, this most likely will not work very well without a pump. Towards the end of the draining of the kettle, the output had noticeably slowed but it never stopped.

Setup:
isg80okz

The Hops:
Gkv6s5Al

Kettle Setup:
C%20Kettle%20Setup.JPG

March Pump:
KaW5ccpl

Whirlpool:
E%20Whirlpool.JPG

Scrubbie Placement:
F%20Scrubbie.JPG

Hop Rocket In Line:
G%20Rocket%20In%20Line.JPG

Beginning of the Filtration:
H%20Begin%20Filtration.JPG

Trub Cone:
J%20Trub%20Cone.JPG

Hop Rocket:
M%20Hop%20Rocket.JPG

Hop Rocket:
N%20Hops.JPG

Hop Rocket:
O%20Scrubbie%20Results.JPG

Carboy with the hop tea
:
P%20Carboy.JPG

The bottom of the carboy after 30 minutes of settling:
Q%20Carboy%20Bottom.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Very cool setup. I just ordered a HopRocket to do the same type of thing, filter and of course using it as a hopback. So you put the SS Scrubby in the hoprocket as the filtering media? how many did you put in there?

Been trying to figure out SS scrubbers or just rice hulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back