Blichmann hop blocker in a non-Blichmann boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhommedieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone had success with using the Hop Blocker in a non-Blichmann boil kettle? I'm upgrading in size and would prefer to save a little money for a boil kettle if I can - and I do like using the hop blocker.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. Instead of trying to find a pot with a hole that will allow the valve and dip tube to sit perfectly, buy a pot and drill a hole at the exact place that will allow a Blichmann valve and dip tube to end up where you want it. Duh.

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles on a boil kettle, since the original volume is based upon pH and SG of the end runnings, and final volume is dictated by the OG and FG of the wort in the pot. No real need for a sight glass or thermometer: boiling is boiling.

Knowing volumes in the BK will improve consistency and give you accurate hop utilization. If you have too much or too little wort at the begining of the boil, your IBU's will be off. Every time I brew, i check preboil volume and gravity. I can dial in the exact boil off rate with a Blichmann Temperature controler, (using the power controler on top, I can adjust power in 1% increments) and I will add water or dump wort if I know the SG will be off. These adjustments are only possible if you know your volumes. It floors me when folks try to pass off a level gauge as not needed. Volume measurement is super critical to fine tuning a brew.

Knowing volumes in the BK will improve consistency and give you accurate hop utilization. If you have too much or too little wort at the begining of the boil, your IBU's will be off. Every time I brew, i check preboil volume and gravity. I can dial in the exact boil off rate with a Blichmann Temperature controler, (using the power controler on top, I can adjust power in 1% increments) and I will add water or dump wort if I know the SG will be off. These adjustments are only possible if you know your volumes. It floors me when folks try to pass off a level gauge as not needed. Volume measurement is super critical to fine tuning a brew.

All true. I was merely arguing that I don't need a sight glass or thermometer. One could simply mark the inside of the boil kettle, or use notches on a stick, and dial-in the amount of hops based upon the original volume and OG, your vessel's boil-off rate/burner, anticipated FG and pH, making adjustments to volume as needed, etc.

Back