Blichmann beer gun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamursch

Reaction score
I'm having a heck of a time with my beer gun. I used it to bottle the end of my keg 2 months ago and after a couple weeks the beer tasted awful. I'd saw solventy maybe?

I just used it again on Thursday to bottle a 12 pack from a new keg and I'm seeing the start of the same thing? My draft beers are very foamy and they
are starting to have that taste too. I've been sanitizing my gun by running star San through it before and after I'm done.

Any suggestions for the obvious. I originally thought it was adding foam that was oxidizing my beer but now I think it's an infection. It's a full keg of DIPA!!!! :(

jamursch said:
I'm having a heck of a time with my beer gun. I used it to bottle the end of my keg 2 months ago and after a couple weeks the beer tasted awful. I'd saw solventy maybe?

I just used it again on Thursday to bottle a 12 pack from a new keg and I'm seeing the start of the same thing? My draft beers are very foamy and they
are starting to have that taste too. I've been sanitizing my gun by running star San through it before and after I'm done.

Any suggestions for the obvious. I originally thought it was adding foam that was oxidizing my beer but now I think it's an infection. It's a full keg of DIPA!!!! :(

That sounds like a sanitation issue. How are you cleaning your bottles? You want to soak and scrub the beer gun, too. Simply running StarSan through isn't enough. Check the quick release assembly on the keg, too...that's a frequent culprit.

Yeah. I agree on it being a sanitization issue. I get how the bottles are bad but does that much leak back into the keg to infect it as well?

It can, especially if it's the quick release that's the problem. Those things get filthy if you're not careful.

I took the quick release apart this AM and found some Hop particles in there, so I'm guessing that's the culprit. For good measure I have taken the entire gun apart hoses and all and am giving them a good soak in OxyClean before rinsing and then sanitizing. Then I'll put away squeaky clean for next use.

I've taken such meticulous sanitation steps to get it this far and then to "F" it up over careless Beer Gun usage is beyond frustrating.

I took the quick release apart this AM and found some Hop particles in there, so I'm guessing that's the culprit. For good measure I have taken the entire gun apart hoses and all and am giving them a good soak in OxyClean before rinsing and then sanitizing. Then I'll put away squeaky clean for next use.

I've taken such meticulous sanitation steps to get it this far and then to "F" it up over careless Beer Gun usage is beyond frustrating.

I hear ya. I've taken to pressure cooking the whole lot right before I use it to make sure everything's kosher. The gun itself is relatively easy to clean, but those quick releases are a PITA.

On the bright side, at least you've found the (likely) problem! :mug:

The worst part is I actually gave a couple of these infected bottles to one of the brewers of the beer I have been trying to clone. Ahhhh!

Latest posts

Back