Blichmann Beer Gun or is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At $55 with shipping, I would just spend the extra little bit on the Blichmann. At least you will get a small amount of support of something shows up damaged.

I have one, does the job. Only thing is you still need everything that comes with the blichmann connection kit.

i bet Blichmann sent their design to China to have their beer gun made and they just stole it and remade it under no brand and sell it cheaper. The Chinese do this all the time.

Blichmann prides themselves on their (proprietary) American manufacturing although I highly doubt all their products are made in the US..

Thats what happened with the aubrins pids sold as the xmt-612 for like $30 shipped though... same design and hardware and aubrins has them made in china.

I'd rather give my money to Blichmann and spend a little more.
Your kidding right?
From what I understand blichmann did not design the beer gun they are just the first to market it commercially.

Some Of their pricing is down right crazy for what you get in return. But people love the bragging rights for some reason...

Your kidding right?
From what I understand blichmann did not design the beer gun they are just the first to market it commercially.

Some Of their pricing is down right crazy for what you get in return. But people love the bragging rights for some reason...

I like Blichmann's equipment and would prefer to support their company. You make quite the assumption in saying I just want bragging rights considering the only other Blichmann equipment I have is the burner which was gifted to me.

You're silly. Calm down.

I like Blichmann's equipment and would prefer to support their company. You make quite the assumption in saying I just want bragging rights considering the only other Blichmann equipment I have is the burner which was gifted to me.

You're silly. Calm down.
No ones excited here, just trying to figure out your logic thats all.

If its a similarproduct, Id buy it from Ebay everytime due to pricing. I am just skeptical when purchasing from the internet and getting screwed over. I like Blichmann and their contribution to HB, but I too agree they can be overpriced (I do own a BoilCoil which I love).

If its a similarproduct, Id buy it from Ebay everytime due to pricing. I am just skeptical when purchasing from the internet and getting screwed over. I like Blichmann and their contribution to HB, but I too agree they can be overpriced (I do own a BoilCoil which I love).

Yeah, I think most of their stuff is a bit over priced. That said, I haven't come across a product I did not think was pretty cool. Maybe I just have expensive taste.

So, has anyone taken a chance with one of these beer guns?

yes...I bought this one, http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...-Free-shipping-by-ePACKAT-to/32294349177.html which seems better than the one linked earlier and has more hardware.

its actually very nice and it is branded and distributed in Australia by a company called Keg KING (www.kegking.com.au)
here it is actually on their site... http://kegking.com.au/bottles-and-bottling-equipment/bottle-filler-beer-gun.html. I dont have a blichmann gun to compare it with so I dont know if its the same manufacturer as the ones blichmann brands/resells.

it is actually very nice and the directions are the kegking ones so they are in actual english vs Engrish. (you can download the directions on the site above as well)

well, I'm taking a chance on it. I bought this one (comes with extra tip and cleaning rod, shipped for $42).

In the comments section, someone stated, "a good copy of the original but you still get what you pay for" but others stated good product and works well. I wonder if the tip came off for that one fella, a common incident for Blichmann Beer Guns. Guess I'll see in 2-3 weeks. I have (4) kegs of beer that needs bottling so I sure how this does the trick. The BMBG only made me a foamy mess.

If I had seen this I would have jumped on it instead of the Blichmann (probably) since it seems to be the same and honestly I've wasted $40 elsewhere in life that I could bite the bullet of "well I re-learned not to buy generic equipment" or "HA all you Blichmann peole spend $30-40 more than you had to. I'm so smart." Either way it appears to be the same. Without having them side by side to do some detailed measurements/tests I'd say go for it. Tell the wife you bought it for half price.

Ali Express is cheap Asian knockoffs, very well known in the $$$ high-end RC/DRONE world. Doesn't mean it won't function fine, and on something as simple as the beer gun will be nearly identical in appearance. If it helps your budget go for it, not trying to wave a flag here. I choose to support the developers of intellectual property and not the probable criminals stealing it. Whoever is behind it is not going to dedicate R&D dollars to coming up with the next great innovation in bottling from a keg, they will wait for someone like Blichmann to do it and then copy at 50-75% of the materials cost and 10-20% of the labor cost. No, I do not think Blichmann invented the concept of a counter pressure filler this is just an example, but they did make a pretty cool design for it. I like mine and want them to continue to innovate. Peace all, just my feelings on the matter after seeing companies like HPI and Losi obliterate their once flush R&D budgets under the same circumstances.

Well it sure looks identical to the Blichmann. Both are stainless too. My only argument to not buy the cheap version is shipping time and I see no mention of a warranty whereas Blichmann has a 1 year warranty.

Ali Express is cheap Asian knockoffs, very well known in the $$$ high-end RC/DRONE world. Doesn't mean it won't function fine, and on something as simple as the beer gun will be nearly identical in appearance. If it helps your budget go for it, not trying to wave a flag here. I choose to support the developers of intellectual property and not the probable criminals stealing it. Whoever is behind it is not going to dedicate R&D dollars to coming up with the next great innovation in bottling from a keg, they will wait for someone like Blichmann to do it and then copy at 50-75% of the materials cost and 10-20% of the labor cost. No, I do not think Blichmann invented the concept of a counter pressure filler this is just an example, but they did make a pretty cool design for it. I like mine and want them to continue to innovate. Peace all, just my feelings on the matter after seeing companies like HPI and Losi obliterate their once flush R&D budgets under the same circumstances.

Just curious (honestly, waving the white flag with you), do you feel the same way prescription drugs? Do you continue to buy the more expensive name brand who spent all the time and money in R&D to bring the drug to market? Or do you buy the generics?

I see this very much in the same light. Blichmann brings products to market and solely sells them ("patent" period) for some period of time. Until a couple years ago, all their products were developed in China. Now it seems the "patent" ran out (probably because he moved production stateside). So now those same companies that were producing the Beer Gun for Blichmann are selling them directly to the public.

At least, that's what I think is happening here. Could end up with some plastic toy. Who knows. I got an email that it shipped on 10/18. We'll see how long it takes to get here. I'll post pics and a review after receiving and using it.

No white flag necessary at all, I am not trying to discourage or harsh on anyone who chooses this route, just giving a personal experience that motivates me. I apologize if it came across that way and I hope it works out great for you. In all likelihood it will be nearly identical, I know because I have bought off Ali in the past for 5th scale RC parts.

Reverse engineering and manufacture of US protected intellectual property in Asia is nothing new. The companies just can't justify the expense of trying to stop it until it gets too big and even then get little to no help from the foreign governments. Sad reality unfortunately.

its actually very nice and it is branded and distributed in Australia by a company called Keg KING (www.kegking.com.au)
here it is actually on their site... http://kegking.com.au/bottles-and-bottling-equipment/bottle-filler-beer-gun.html. I dont have a blichmann gun to compare it with so I dont know if its the same manufacturer as the ones blichmann brands/resells.

it is actually very nice and the directions are the kegking ones so they are in actual english vs Engrish. (you can download the directions on the site above as well)

This is correct. I have a kegking one that I bought at my LHBS. It is NOT exactly the same as the Blichmann, but is quite similar. The operator of one of the biggest online homebrew stores in Australia (Ross, Craftbrewer) has commented previously on another forum that almost every one of these guns that they sell has to have a CO2 leak fixed first (which they do before they sell them). They are not as good quality as Blichmann. Mine leaks like a ***** out of the elbow, to the point that I lose about as much CO2 as what goes into the bottle.

@Gnomebrewer - do you have all your threads taped? I figured I'd take it apart and tape all the connections before hooking up CO2.

@Gnomebrewer - do you have all your threads taped? I figured I'd take it apart and tape all the connections before hooking up CO2.

there are no threads where he is talking about... Thats good info though. I will have to fix mine up with some teflon tape first.

@augiedoggy - O-Ring then? Or truly just a built-in right angle and no way to seal it? If that's the case, maybe I can find a comparable piece locally to replace it.

I'll just wait and see what I get.

@augiedoggy - O-Ring then? Or truly just a built-in right angle and no way to seal it? If that's the case, maybe I can find a comparable piece locally to replace it.

I'll just wait and see what I get.

well I plan on just wrapping some teflon tape around the tube to make the seal better... it doesnt have to be air tight since most of the co2 will take the easy path to the end of the gun.

well I plan on just wrapping some teflon tape around the tube to make the seal better... it doesnt have to be air tight since most of the co2 will take the easy path to the end of the gun.

Blichmann actually says CO2 leaking from the brass fitting is common. Beer shouldn't leak from the hose connected on the top. I'd say that would be the difference of metric and SAE sizing more than a design flaw.

Boy, don't order from China if you're in any hurry at all. Ordered OCT 15. Nearly 7 wks later, I finally received it.

Boy, don't order from China if you're in any hurry at all. Ordered OCT 15. Nearly 7 wks later, I finally received it.
I dont think its fair to sterotype all the sellers in china as the same. I think it would be more helpful if you posted the name of the seller or post a link so those in a hurry can avoid them.

I know the seller I posted a link to on the first page of this thread shipped the item very quickly and I received it in less than two weeks if it helps anyone in a hurry to get it.

Back