Blichman Top Tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not, but....

The manual states then when leveling, the center mast should be touching the floor. I imagine this is so the majority of the load is transferred straight down through the center mast to the ground. If you had wheels you'd have more weight directly on the four legs than is recommended as you'd have to have the center mast off the ground to be able to move it around.

I have these mobile bases for my woodworking floor tools where there is a combo leveller foot and wheel, with a step lever to pop it up on the wheel. If you could find something like this, it might work as you would only have it up on the wheels to move it, then drop it down on the feet bringing the center mast back in contact with the ground. I may look into something like this for myself as it would be much easier to move around when on four casters vs tilting up on the two wheels that are built in.

Here's an example of the mobile bases I use:

146177.jpg

Thats exactly what I was thinking but I am by no means a designer type. There has to be some casters out there like you showed in the picture that I could use. I will look at rockler and see if I can find anything.

I keep mine on my patio off my basement and cover it up in a corner after use so using casters would be so much easier.

Just finished assembling my new top tier stand and I am having issues moving out the basement door (36" door w/ 35" of clearance. The stand wont fit through it no matter how hard I try and the support legs are killing the door frame. My basement is smooth concrete and the threshold is a mere 1" out to the covered slab under the deck. I have already ordered 3 1/2 " casters with a 1/2" threaded stem to replace the adjustable feet. This way I can roll it out the door and spin it around the door jam.

The support on the center beam was also a concern, but seeing as how the stand is "modular" a short length of 4x4 post under the mast once in place should suffice.

My casters are rated at 300lbs each and have brakes on each wheel.

Home D didn't have anything with a 1/2" thread. The largest was a 7/16" so I found a set on ebay.

If anyone is curious how this works out I can update in a week or two when its done.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398437993.886858.jpgThreaded 1/2" casters in place and rated at 300 lbs each. This thing rolls like a champ. I place a block of wood under the center post for support when in use. If you move your top tier in and out of the garage or basement, this is the way to go. Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Where did you find the wheels? I don't see that block of wood in your photo. I assume you just slip it under when brewing?

View attachment 195458Threaded 1/2" casters in place and rated at 300 lbs each. This thing rolls like a champ. I place a block of wood under the center post for support when in use. If you move your top tier in and out of the garage or basement, this is the way to go. Cheers!!

That is awesome! Doing this for sure. Do you ever have an issue with it being level?

The block of wood isn't really necessary doing 5 gallon batches. When I do 10 gal batches I slide it under the post when the stand is in place. Also it is perfectly level on my patio. I use a bubble level to dbl check when it's in place. The casters were on eBay at a price of $22.99 for 4. They are 3" Quiet Ride locking swivel casters. 1/2" threaded stem.

Back