Blending

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billingsbrew

Reaction score
Okay, even though it is the same batch they have different Yeast. Started a 6 gallon batch of black current and pomegranate mead 9-13. After the first six days took a reading and it only attenuated down 40 points, starting OG was 1.142. I split the batch and replaced the original 1122 with 1118 in one of the 3 gallon containers. So what I was wondering is if the 1122 conks out to high and the 1118 dries out too much can I blend them together at the end of fermentation. I was originally hoping for a medium too sweet mead from this batch. Could this possibly enhance or detract you from the two styles of
Yeasts. ?

When you add the 1118 batch it will
eat any sugars left in the 1122 batch. Which isn't a bad thing. Once it's dry and clear, stabilize with kmeta and sorbate, then backsweeten to where you want it. Much more reliable method.

I thought I could stabilize both of the separate batches, then mix them together to hold onto some residual sugars from the 1122 batch. Would that keep the 1118 from consuming residual sugar in the 1122 batch?

So many yeasts, so many choices........

A tad more research, could have told you that 142 points (presuming 1.000 finished) equates to about 19.29% ABV. So with SG of 1.142 would have left a huge amount of residual sugars.

It's often recommended not to put all the fermentable sugars in up front, as this will often create difficulties/stressing of the yeast, which can, of course, lead to off flavours.

Now with "multi-yeast" batches, you can often face the difficulty of getting the second one going correctly. The presence of something like a max of about 14% ABV, might indeed hinder the EC-1118 from starting (depends on the batch/recipe/method of adding or starting the yeast).

It's feasible that the EC-1118 will indeed munch all the rest of the available sugars, but also possible it won't (presuming correct batch nutrition, a good start etc, then EC-1118 is tolerant to 18% ABV normally, which equates to SG of 1.133).

If you have a read around the bazaars, you'll find that it's often suggested that it's better to make a batch lower, then step feed, but using nutrients for the max intended strength so there's always enough non-sugar munchies in the batch for the yeast.

Blending a dry, with a sweet, should be straight forward, but it depends on what it is that you're aiming for. It would have considerably easier to have made the batch, so that it fermented dry with the 71B-1122, then just back sweetened some. Higher alcohol batches often need considerably longer aging.

It's certainly hard to predict the likely result of the use of the two yeasts etc.

I'd suggest that it's gonna be better to just "suck it and see".......

Yeah a little bit of up front map on my part would have been helpful. I have only used 1118 in the past and it has always dried out all my meads. Just wasn't thinking this time. Well I have two more 6 gallon batches to make. I think I will go ahead and use the 1122 and perhaps the 1116 and calculate a proper OG thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back