Blending single varietal ciders?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyWino

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with making cider from varietals as they become available and then blending to make a final product?

Cheers

HW

I press as they become ready. You get feel for when the need to be pressed. Some need to be pressed right away others have to wait and ripen a long time. Then I blend it all in the spring. It's quite common.

I have made single varietal ciders. not my favorites. In my experience it is more reliable to get the apple juice mix tasting right before the fermentation, so you can adjust the percentage of different apples to try to get the best mix of flavor sugar and ph. before the ferment

OTOH I can see how the blending process could be interesting depending on your apple options. Most apples I can get are not good for single varietals. There are a few, Stayman, Pink Lady, maybe Albemarle Pippen. The rest need some sort of balancing from other apples. YMMV.

Latest posts

Back