Blending PBW and Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisC

Reaction score
Before brew day, I'll prep my equipment by circulating a PBW solution to get things nice and clean. Then I'll circulate a Star San solution to get everything sanitized.

Here's the question: does anyone know if a single PBW/Star San blend can be used?? That is, can I make a single time/water-saving solution containing both the PBW and the Star San and expect similar results?

PBW is a cleaner. It needs to be well rinsed before brewing. Starsan is a no rinse contact sanitizer. Not a good idea.

No.
PBW is a base and Starsan an acid.
On a good day such a combination will simply neutralize itself.

No, you cannot combine the 2-step process into one, because the PBW has to be rinsed out of the equipment before you apply the sanitizer (which is a no-rinse product). I triple rinse my PBW product before applying the sanitizer/Star San, to avoid a soapy-taste in my beer. Anyone else want to comment on this?

Ok. That's what I thought. The whole rinse/no-rinse thing occurred to me shortly after I posted the question.

On a side note, I'm interested in runningfarmer's comment on VERY thoroughly rinsing out the PBW before running the Star San solution through the system. I've always figured the 5 gallons of SS would do the job of diluting and rinsing out the PBW. I've never detected any soapy/chemically tastes in my batches - nor has anyone told me they have either... but I'm definitely interested in giving it a try to see if the flavour improves! Thanks!

Don’t do it. They will cancel out, leaving you with pretty much nothing.

PBW is alkaline and StarSan is acidic. Any pathogen that is happy at pH 11 is likely to be killed at pH 3.

A nice 1-2 punch.

Back