Blending dry yeast for NEIPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobby

Reaction score
I have a question did anyone tried to mix Nottingham Ale yeast and Windsor ? What are the results if you have such an experience?I want to use one pack of each in my NEIPA.I don’t have any other yeast around,I have two packs of each.Im looking for medium body and juicy character.If you have ever tried, what are better options?
1. Windsor and Notti 50/50
2. Windsor and Notti 65/35
2. Two packs of Windsor

Thank you!

I would personally be hesitant to brew the style with either. Notty to me has a very distinctive, tart flavor, and Windsor is sort of underattenuated ester-y muck (purely from my experiences).

Windsor is sort of underattenuated ester-y muck

Sounds ideal for a NEIPA!

@Cobby - Nottingham has many qualities, but it's not ideal for a NEIPA. And if you're feeling your way on this stuff, I'd KISS and just use one yeast for your first batch, set a baseline. I've not used Windsor for a NEIPA, but I'd give it a go. And/or do a split batch and have just Notty in the other half, or split three ways and have just Windsor, just Notty and a 1:1 blend....

One I've not tried but could be quite interesting for a NEIPA would be Mangrove Jack M15.

Thank you so much, I think I will go with Windsor alone, just will rehydrate 2 packs and mash around 150 . , and hopefully it will drop from 1075 to 1012.

There is no way anyone could know...unless they'e done it before....do it for science! IT might turn out awesome...chances are it won't turn out bad...I feel like the risk/reward is high on this.

There is no way anyone could know...unless they'e done it before....do it for science! IT might turn out awesome...chances are it won't turn out bad...I feel like the risk/reward is high on this.
my minimum volume is 2000l)))) so the risks are so large)))

Can you get Danstar BRY 97? Apparently this is the same strain as Wyeast 1272 American Ale II which people say makes a great NEIPA, with lots preferring it over 1318.

Can you get Danstar BRY 97? Apparently this is the same strain as Wyeast 1272 American Ale II which people say makes a great NEIPA, with lots preferring it over 1318.
yes, I can get everything from Lallemand, except for "Danstar New England"! as well as everything from Fermentis. but I chose yeast with low flocculation and high fruit flavors. Lallemand has Winsdor. Fermentis-S04. But S04 + 17 kilograms of hop for 2000 liters do not give me a special hazy. this time I want to try Winsdor

If you google Trinity Brewers Julius clone, they use a dry yeast blend in that particular beer. A member on here (sorry cant remember the name) did a bunch of DNA work figuring out what yeast Tree House was using in Julius. It appears that it is a blend of 3 dry yeasts from fermentis. S-04, WB-06, and T-58, and then possibly 1 other at packaging to scavenge O2 and carbonate. The guy at Trinity has done many versions and is settled on a blend of 92% S-04, 5% T-58, 3% WB-06 and feels that blend gets a really close Julius clone. I am in the same situation as you, where I live now I can only get dry yeast reliably. My version of the Trinity Julius clone is in fermentation right now, really interested to sample the results.

If you google Trinity Brewers Julius clone, they use a dry yeast blend in that particular beer. A member on here (sorry cant remember the name) did a bunch of DNA work figuring out what yeast Tree House was using in Julius. It appears that it is a blend of 3 dry yeasts from fermentis. S-04, WB-06, and T-58, and then possibly 1 other at packaging to scavenge O2 and carbonate. The guy at Trinity has done many versions and is settled on a blend of 92% S-04, 5% T-58, 3% WB-06 and feels that blend gets a really close Julius clone. I am in the same situation as you, where I live now I can only get dry yeast reliably. My version of the Trinity Julius clone is in fermentation right now, really interested to sample the results.
Hi. I am now actively reading about mixing several strains. I will probably use winsdor (75%) + T-58 (25%). thanks to T58 I get a lower fermentation of 3.5 * B -4.0 * B. I hope so ))))

T-58 is pretty closely related to Windsor (and S-33), so it brews pretty similarly apart from the fact that it is POF+ so produces "Belgian" phenolics. You'll probably find that 25% T-58 is too much, somewhere around 10% seems to work better, but you might want to take out a bucket and ferment it with more just to see what it's like.

So i brewed a version of Marshall's Julius clone and just transfered to keg tonight. I tried to get the dry yeasts as close as i could but my scale wont weight tenths of a gram and wont even reliable weight something until it is atleast 3 grams (ordered a better scale). This beer is probably the best version of the style i have made coming out of fermentation. I have brewed 6 versions of braufessors recipe, and while ive had good to great results, the Trinity version more closely reflects what i want out of a good NEIPA. I am inspired to blend more yeasts.

No flaked anything, dry yeast blend.
20180826_141151.jpg

Latest posts

Back