Blending after carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebou4860

Reaction score
I over-peppered my 1 gal test batch of my ginger-pepper beer. I already bottled it. Would it be possible to make another 1 gal of ginger beer and then blend these two and re-bottle?

How long's it been in bottles? I'd give it a month or two more to see if the pepper mellows.

You could blend as you suggested, but I'd only do it as a last resort, as the transfer is probably going to introduce a lot of oxygen.

EDIT: Doh! I supose you could re-boil the bottled beer with the new batch, and avoid the oxidation issue. But I'd still give it more time, and only do that as a last resort. If it's a test batch, you'll want to see how the flavor evolves over time, anyway.

Blending from kegs is much easier. I don't think I'd try it with bottles, it would be ton of work and you are really introducing a lot of O2 by pouring from the bottle into a mixing bucket, then re-bottling.

If it were me, I'd brew up a gallon of no-pepper ginger beer and bottle. Then when you're ready to drink, just open up one pepper ginger beer and one no pepper ginger beer and mix them in the glass (ala a black and tan).

Other than that, the suggestions of aging to mellow the spice are probably spot on.

Back