Blending a Double Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
First off, thanks to everyone who reads and responds to this request. Here is what I am thinking of doing this weekend and please let me know if it makes sense.

I am brewing a double batch of CheeseFood's Vanilla Ale. I have two primary and two car boys all ready. I will be brewing two batches - one right after the other. When it becomes time to transfer to secondary does it make sense to put half from each primary in each car boy so I get a true blend of the two batches?

Also, can I share a bottle of yeast and just pitch half in each primary and let it remain in primary a bit longer? What am I risking by trying to save the cost of a bottle of yeast?

I think I have a record for posts with no response. anyway

What kind of yeast are you using? The dry yeast is so cheap just use two of those. I think if you make two five gallon batches you should use two packages of yeast.

As far as blending...blend away. If I was making a ten gallon batch I wouldn't blend but I would experiment either with different yeasts or hop additions. My set up accommodates only five gallon batches.

Good luck.

Chip said:
When it becomes time to transfer to secondary does it make sense to put half from each primary in each car boy so I get a true blend of the two batches?

Depends on what you're trying for. If you want as close to perfect consistency as you can get or want a consistent base to experiment with different additions in secondary (oak, bourbon, etc.), it makes sense. On the other hand, you have a perfect opportunity to experiment with the recipe and see happens if you change a couple of the variables. For instance, pitching two different yeasts or using different amounts/types of hops. You can always blend the two batches at bottling/kegging time.

Chip said:
Also, can I share a bottle of yeast and just pitch half in each primary and let it remain in primary a bit longer? What am I risking by trying to save the cost of a bottle of yeast?

Increased lag time leading to a slightly increased risk of an opportunistic infection setting in. In addition, the yeast will be stressed, possibly resulting in various off flavours, stalled fermentation, under-attenuation, or high levels of fusels. Under-pitching is a bad idea.

However, there's also no need to use two vials of yeast. I would recommend making a starter, stepping it up once or twice, and pitching half in each batch.

Back