Blended Wine Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toivo

Reaction score
My wife has me making wine to give away as gifts for Christmas and I am thinking about doing a Peach Chardonnay for next year. Since I have never done a blended wine before I have a few questions.
1. Should I start the peach wine now and let it age for, say 6 months before blending?
2. I was thinking about making 3 gallons of peach and blending with a 6 gallon chardonnay kit. Does this mixture seem ok?
3. How long should I age after blending before bottling?
4. Any other advice would be appreciated.

I plan on using canned peaches for the peach wine and using the following recipe scaled back to 3 gallons.

PEACH WINE
13 lbs. Fresh Peaches
10 lbs. Cane Sugar
Water as need to make 5 gallons
1 Tablespoons Yeast Energizer
1 Teaspoon Pectic Enzyme
2-1/2 Tablespoons Acid Blend
1 Teaspoon Wine Tannin
5 Campden Tablets (Add 24 hours before the yeast)
1 Packet Wine Yeast (Lalvin EC-1118 recommended)
5 Campden Tablets (Add right before bottling)

Thanks in advance for your help.

It sounds like you're on the right track with the plans you've already made. There's no way to predict a blend ratio until the wines are finished. Although you know pretty much how the Chardonnay will turn out you don't know how the peach will taste unless you've made it before. New peach wine recipes, or really many new country wine recipes, is kind of a crap shoot so you'll just have to wait until they're both finished and have bulk aged for a few months. Then you can thief some out of the secondaries and try you blends and then bottle from there. Another few months in the bottle after blending should do it but remember that most wines aren't ready before they're a year old. Good luck!

Back