BlackBerry Brew Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been asked to make a brew calculator for the BlackBerry. Since I'm so new to brewing, does this list of calculations seem sufficient? Is there anything you'd like to see added / subtracted?

-Bitterness
-Plato to Specific Gravity
-Calories, Alcohol and Plato
-Full Recipe Calculator (calculates Calories, Alcohol, Bitterness, etc, based on a full recipe)
-Priming Sugar Amount
-Water Amount

Awesome!

Don't forget SRM. Do you have access to beersmith? Might be a good reference for other variables.

Are you going to be able to make it available?

Awesome!

Don't forget SRM. Do you have access to beersmith? Might be a good reference for other variables.

Are you going to be able to make it available?

There are a bunch more calculations to include. boil off, hydrometer adjust, efficiencies, mash profiles, strike temp calcs, style guidelines, gravity adjust, decoction calcs, etc, There are a bunch more not included in this list that are actually part of the individuals processes.

Some nice features would be inventory management, automated shopping list build

Not to say that this would not be awesome to have on my Blackberry but it is a pretty serious undertaking. I currently run my laptop in the kitchen while brewing to figure the above on the fly (using Beer Smith) while brewing. (You really want to tread on the shoulders of those that have traveled this path before and just build on what they have done while converting to a Blackberry format.)

I'll run Beer Smith for a while and see what I can get from it. Most likely it'll be the base for the BlackBerry version (re-written of course).

...This is going to take a while. haha.

I personally would happy with a basic condensed version say I'm at the brew store making a house ale. I am feeling frisky and decide to hype up the amount of base grain or my crystal and want to know the change in gravity and SRM. Or maybe at work bored and want to throw a new bitter toghether so I hack out some basics like ibus. Grain bill etc than figurer out the details on a full computer
I think trying to run a full beer smith type program would be a PITA in both desgin and during use

Just my two pennies

be great to have something for temp corrected gravity readings. And ability to set alarms for hop additions easily

My interest is piqued. I have waited along time for something like this.

You have a beta tester if you want it.

BB brew tools would be cool, but I honestly wouldn't replace my copy of Beersmith with them. What I would use them for is quick on-the-fly brewday calculations, like:
  • Initial strike temperature/volume
  • Total mash volume
  • Infusion temperatures/volumes
  • Decoction adjustments
  • Gravity adjustment
  • Hydrometer correction

I actually drag my laptop into the garage on brewdays, but some simple tools on the crackberry would be pretty cool to have. I'd beta test it for you also.

Ok,

So in total, up to this point, we have:

-Every brew related calculator known to man
-Hops timers (I'd also add a steeping timer)
-Inventory tracking

I just thought about this one...is it needed?
-On-the-fly recipe recorder used while you're doing your brew, to record the expected temps/ingredients, etc as well as the unexpected's, that will automatically update the recipe's variables such as gravity, bitterness, etc. Will export to a brewXML.

Ok,

So in total, up to this point, we have:

-Every brew related calculator known to man
-Hops timers (I'd also add a steeping timer)
-Inventory tracking

I just thought about this one...is it needed?
-On-the-fly recipe recorder used while you're doing your brew, to record the expected temps/ingredients, etc as well as the unexpected's, that will automatically update the recipe's variables such as gravity, bitterness, etc. Will export to a brewXML.

I'm not exactly sure what you envision here but yes it would almost be a necessity to be able to link to computer apps both ways - all relevant recipe data going to and brew notes coming from - the Blackberry.

But yes, every feature ever included on a brewing program plus a ton of new features that no one has ever even thught of yet. Then you might be onto something. ;)

Even a simple hydrometer adjust would be killer for the blackberry. I'm super interested in how this pans out. Subscribed!

Outstanding... I'm waiting patiently for the outcome of this. Hence the addition of the blackberry homebrewtalk app my posts have increased oh 100% (actually post now). This app will be amazing and helpful. Wish I was smart or dedicated enough to create a helpful app like this..... SWMBO is asking me why I'm giddy giddy goo about this idea (she doesn't have a joy of a company/government funded smart phone :) )

Perhaps add a recipe book. Something where the user can type in recipes and store them to refer for future brew shopping days.

ThreeTaps... I'm speechless!

Just an update.

While I'm sure that I'll be making something within the next 12 months (unless somebody else does first, that is), it probably won't be within the next 6 months. Things are just too busy to dedicate 4 more hours each day to develop a BlackBerry application. Especially since OS platforms for RIM are changing very soon.

Take a look at Prew Pal for the iPhone. I've had it for two months, and it's been really fun to play around with recipes and see what type of beer my ideas would create. It also does mash calcs, and all sorts of other things. I think it's the benchmark for a portable phone brewing application.

I saw in <a href="https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/brew-apps-blackberry-95971/">another thread</a> that ThreeTaps was busy with his day job and studying at night so he wasn't really working on this anymore...

On my BB 9650 I just load the <a href="http://***********/stories/article/indices/28-computer-brewing/1690-write-your-own-brewing-spreadsheet">spreadsheet</a> that the editor of the BYO magazine put together. I keep the file in tact and do 'Save As' for each different recipe. It has everything I need(and more) as a fairly experienced monthly full grain brewer.

THAT SAID, I have a little experience writing BlackBerry applications so I was thinking about putting something together (if there is any interest). I really can't believe there is nothing out there for 'Berry users.

Like I said, I only have a little bit of experience writing these applications so I would prefer to keep it simple. I'll probably just make it a on-the-fly calculator that works like BrewPal for the iPhone. You input your different variables and it tells you expected IBU, ABV, etc. You could then email it to yourself to keep track of it on your PC...

So, is it worth my time writing this app or is everyone else okay with using a spreadsheet (like I am)?

-jtl

PS, This is my first post but I've been lurking for a while ;)

Doesn't look like there has been much work on this one in the past year. I just submitted a bjcp app to RIM, and was planning on working on this project next. If I am not missing anything, it looks like we are going to need the following features based on what was discussed here and what useful features I think should also be added:

Recipe Calculator
-SRM
-Bitterness
-Gravity (SG, OG)
-Efficiency
-ABV
-Calories
-Priming Sugar Amount
-Water Amount (Mash/Sparge)
-Style (compares recipe to match to guidelines)
-Batch size
-Boil time
-Mash profile
-Strike Temp
-Length of Mash
-Temp throughout mash
-Boil Off
-Efficiency
-Allow import/export in BeerXML format

Other Tools
Hydrometer Adjustment
-Convert to/from Plato
-Convert to/from Brix
-Convert to normal temp reading
Inventory Management
Shopping List

I cannot include style guidelines, as BJCP will not allow the guidelines to be distributed in a paid for application. Not sure how BeerSmith got away with this, but they were very adamant about it when I got copyright approval for the BJCP app.

mrtrav, your list looks great to me! At this point, I'd be happy with anything for the BB.

When will your BJCP app be available?

I need to get a notarized document to RIM so I can become an approved vendor, I plan on doing that tomorrow morning. Should expect to see it in app world next week sometime. I Have an OTA link if you are interested in taking a look at the "beta" version now. Just PM me if interested.

I attached some pics of what it's going to look like.

9550_icon.jpg

9550_menu.jpg

9550_details.jpg

I need to get a notarized document to RIM so I can become an approved vendor, I plan on doing that tomorrow morning. Should expect to see it in app world next week sometime. I Have an OTA link if you are interested in taking a look at the "beta" version now. Just PM me if interested.

I attached some pics of what it's going to look like.

Looks a lot like the one I have on my palm pre.

Sorry for the delay guys. The blackberry app has been submitted to RIM, just waiting for their final approval. Been lagging a bunch on my end since the giants have been in the world series. I should be able to put some more time into this now.

Hey folks,

Instead of coming up with a Blackberry only application, I've been working on a web-based homebrew calculator that ANY internet ready platform can access.

Click the address to check it out http://www.BBrewApp.com

It is designed to be a simple and powerful-like-ox site that loads quickly on any platform. I don't believe users on mobile devices want to use their mobile device to research different types of beer styles or ingredients so this tool doesn't have that information. You probably have a hard copy of the Joy of Homebrewing for that. This tool is meant to be a quick and easy recipe log and brew calculator.

In the near future, I will add a box on the results page for the user to input an email address so the user can send the recipe results to an email as a text file. (Added as of 19-NOV-2010)

For everyone's sake, I don't plan on ever adding any PPC Google ads or obnoxious banners.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Maybe this is a dumb question. I guess I don't really understand, how can you go back and access your recipe electronically?

I think it would also be beneficial to have some calculators to access while you are brewing. (i.e Strike Water Temps, Hydrometer temp adjustments, etc). Also, was there a reason that the Hops and Yeast do not have a drop down like the grains and adjuncts?

I do love the fact that it can be accessed through any system. I submitted my recipe via blackberry.

Thanks of taking a look celticcolorado... I guess I should make it clear that I'm still working on the site so some more features are "on the way".

I will be putting a text box in at the recipe results page where you can put in your email address and send it to yourself. That way you will have the recipe whereever you can access your email.

Hydrometer temperature correction is at the bottom of the page... When you enter a hydrometer reading and the temperature and then click submit, the results page will display the corrected hydrometer reading at the specified temperature.

Values for hops and yeasts vary and anythign I put in would get out-dated as soon as I publish so I will leave it up to the user to enter the names and values for the hops and yeasts that they use.

I do plan on adding some strike water calculations and fields for mash temp, mash time etc...

Again, thanks for taking a look and please do check back often as in the next couple of days I will keep adding to it.

-jtl

Just an update on the web-based home brew utility that I've been working on (http://www.BBrewApp.com)... I've added the capability to email yourself the recipe so that you can save it for eternity. When you enter all of your recipe information and then click the "Submit" buttom, the results page will list all of the recipe information that you entered as well as some calculated information (ABV, IBU, etc). If you are satisfied with the recipe and the calculated info, you can then enter your email address and click "SEND" and a text file with all of that info will be sent to that address. Once you have the text file, you can edit it yourself with things like tasting notes etc...

In the near future I'll add a couple more text inputs to record things like strike water temp, strike water volume, and general notes.

I'm interested in a BBerry app for home brewing too... Especially for when I'm at the LHBS and want to tweak the recipe while there and see what it does to things. While I could bring my laptop with me, it would be far easier/faster to just do it on my BBerry Storm2...

I have downloaded (installed and now run) the BJCP app (thanks to mrtrav).. It's good to have the info, but I still would like to have a calculator for the BlackBerry to help in formulation when not at home (or have my laptop powered on when remote)...

The site that I set up http://www.BBrewApp.com will help you a ton when you're at the shop. Just pull out your BB and input whatever data you want to try and click submit to see ABV or IBU...

Not really what I'm looking for... Web sites are fine for many things, but trying to enter information to a web site is not even close to what I'm looking for. Plus, I want/need to be able to formulate it with enough time to think about things. With the site method, I cannot see being able to save it onto a memory card, so that I can reference it later.

Maybe Beer Smith will come out with a BlackBerry add-on so that you can shoot your recipe to your device, pull it up when remote, and make changes as you need to when at your LHBS... That would be a very useful tool to me...

...Maybe Beer Smith will come out with a BlackBerry add-on so that you can shoot your recipe to your device, pull it up when remote, and make changes as you need to when at your LHBS... That would be a very useful tool to me...

Substitute "piece of paper" for "device", and you're all set.

Not trying to be snarky here, but sometimes there's just no replacement for pen and paper. I think that's one of those times.

Substitute "piece of paper" for "device", and you're all set.

Not trying to be snarky here, but sometimes there's just no replacement for pen and paper. I think that's one of those times.

Paper only goes so far... I really don't want to have to run all the calculations when I change something like which hop I'll use, how much DME/LME I'll use, the grains weight, etc... I've tried the 'piece of paper' route and that really only goes so far. Plus, I tend to brew higher gravity items. Being able to see, quickly, what changes will do to the brew, while at the LHBS is important to me. Especially when OG impacts the hops utilization value, which then impacts other things. I also don't like how large a time span is in the chart for calculating hop utilization (in the books I have already)... The software does a better job there, so I can adjust in 5 minute (or less) increments for the hop boil and see how that will impact things.

I guess until someone actually makes a good calculator for the BlackBerry, I'll just have to bring my laptop along for the ride... It's a shame, since it would be far easier/faster/better to be able to have my recipe in my BlackBerry so that I can adjust it on the fly (without killing trees) and see what the changes will do...

With the software being available for the iphoney, how hard would it be to port over to the BlackBerry (5.x OS for now, 6.x can come later)??

Latest posts

Back