Black soot problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightbrew

Reaction score
Ok guys just been testing my new brutus type build and I was boiling up some water and everything looked great until I noticed some black soot building up on the edge of the pot. This occured about 45 min or so after I fired it up. I have had this problem before but I thought it was caused by a dirty burner. In this case the burner was basically brand new and very clean. So I guess the question is why did my good looking flame etc, turn to yellow and start building up this black soot, without changing anything. I should mention that my tank was getting low at this point, dont know if this matters. Thanks

Well it seems to be a good looking flame for a while, then I noticed more yellow and of course the black soot. I just couldnt figure out what had changed. Everything was clean.

You may have a problem venting combustion gases. I had a nice blue flame on mine until my kettle was on the burner, then it was yellow. Try using a spacer like a few bolts to raise your kettle and see if that helps.

Sounds like you don't have enough pressure on your burner. That is, enough pressure to get a blue flame. Your flame sounds like it is basic all orange. Also, adjust the metal opening in the back of the burner to let more air in. Put a 0-30 psi regulator on the line and crank in about 10-11 turns. You could also be out of gas (low pressure). The burner should be about 4-4.5 inches from the bottom of the keggle. The flame, all blue with orange tips about 1.5 inches high. On the mash, i lower my flame to about 3/4 inch high.
Snake10

I am running low pressure which is set 11"wc and the air shutter is opened up all the way. Microbus I think you maybe on to something because my flame always looks worse with kettle on. Ive got some things to try, thanks.

Latest posts

Back