Black skin when mature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi to all. I have a problem. I thought I would have a go at making pear and apple cider. Fermenting went well, bottling was fine. After 3 months in the bottle I noticed pectin haze, but it tastes ok and the alcohol is high enough that I can't see it after a bottle or two. 7 months after bottling and the cider has formed a thin black skin on top, which stains the bottle for 3-4mm above the skin. What is it?

Hi to all. I have a problem. I thought I would have a go at making pear and apple cider. Fermenting went well, bottling was fine. After 3 months in the bottle I noticed pectin haze, but it tastes ok and the alcohol is high enough that I can't see it after a bottle or two. 7 months after bottling and the cider has formed a thin black skin on top, which stains the bottle for 3-4mm above the skin. What is it?

I have no idea, but it doesn't sound good. Mold is usually white, and it sounds as if there was nothing in the must to make a dark skin (like blueberries). It sounds like a big issue.

I have no idea, but it doesn't sound good. Mold is usually white, and it sounds as if there was nothing in the must to make a dark skin (like blueberries). It sounds like a big issue.

talked to a few people, consensus seems to be cells dying and floating to the top due to incomplete secondary fermentation. not toxic, and flavour has only got better

Sounds like "turn the bottles upside down in their boxes" to me! :)

TeeJo

Herein lies the problem: you say it tastes even better now than it did before, great, can you repeat this same "problem" next batch?

Back