Quantcast

Black is Beautiful Stout

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OldDogBrewing

Reaction score
That is exactly how I would approach it if I was you. I brew lots of these so already have or will use most of the ingredients. Also, I was excited to try the homebrew recipe because of the rye as well as the hop combination. I had never used these ingredients in any RIS previously.

Good luck! Please update and let us know how it turns out.
I think I will brew it around december or January as I have some mixed ferm brews ahead that will be in the bucket until December or January

Genuine

Reaction score
I just brewed mine over the weekend, I did the homebrew version with all the speciality grains. The first runnings wort tasted amazing so I'm excited to see how this beer changes through fermentation.

I used 1oz of Columbus for bittering then 2oz of Cascade at 20min and 10, as per the recipe sheet. I mashed a bit higher at 156 would retain some residual sugars, hoping to end around 1.016 and be 8.9% abv. It looks like it'll be a stout that I've brewed, with such a dark head on it.

I also used about 4oz of maltodextrin in the boil to see if that changes anything.

Genuine

Reaction score
Mine is on day 12 of fermentation and it looks like it stopped fermenting after day 5. I'm going to keg it tonight, burst carb so I can check it out this weekend. I'm super excited to start drinking it! It'll be chilly this weekend and for me, that's perfect stout weather. I'm sure with the ABV it'll mellow out as time goes on however I'm beyond curious to see how it came out.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A very good black beer that I've been brewing a lot is 90% pale malt (2-row or American pale ale), 5% Black Patent, and 5% light or medium crystal malt, which I call a porter rather than a stout. Use your favorite ale yeast and adjust to whatever ABV you want. Willamette or Golding hops, etc, not too bitter. The just under 6% ABV batch I made with yeast cultured from Bell Oberon was one of my best beers ever. [edited anonymously by HBT staff]

Last edited:

Tyler B

Reaction score
Mine has been in the keg a little over a week. I don't know if I accidentally transferred too much yeast from the fermenter or if the US-05 is just taking forever to clear but mine isn't even close in appearance yet. I added gelatin and will probably give it a few more weeks. The flavor is decent now. Still a bit green, which is to be expected with a beer like this, but I think it will be ready in a few more weeks.

Genuine

Reaction score
Checked gravity tonight and mine is stuck at 1.030. Surprisingly it doesn’t taste sweet. Currently it’s at 7%abv and I can tell that it needs the 1.9%abv as intended. Tastes great on the hydrometer sample. I threw another packet of US-05 in (I knew I should have used two packets at pitch but tried to get away with using one). So we’ll see if there’s any additional activity. It’s supposed to end around 1.015, for an intended ABV of 8.9%.

Edit: got some bubbles in the airlock and it’s smelly fruity again as it does during fermentation. Hopefully this 2nd pitch helps and there’s krausen on it when I get home after work.

Last edited:

Knightshade

Which way is up again??
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was messing around with various oatmeal stout recipes in Brewer’s Friend today. I’ve only brewed one other stout, which ended up being a dumper due to massive oxidation exposure during racking. It was unfortunately beyond saving...

I’ve had 6 different CA versions of this beer, and Firestone Walker’s version is AFlippinMazing.

Based on the positive talk about the base HB recipe, maybe I should give this a go vs the oatmeal stout idea. 🧐

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
BiB_BS Recipe.png
Attached is a copy of the recipe I am going to brew hopefully before the end of the month. Some of the ingredients I have subbed out from the shared HB version with what I already have on hand. I have 2oz of oak chips that have been soaking in bourbon for a year now. I plan to age this beer on those oak chips till next fall (10 months or so), I'll add some home roasted coffee to it as well but I'll add that closer to when I plan to start enjoying it and sharing it with others. I'm worried if I add the coffee early on, it will just fade over time. I am also thinking of buying some vanilla beans and adding them to this beer too. I'm on the fence if I will add the vanilla when I add the oak chips or wait when I add the coffee. This will be the first time using vanilla beans with a beer, so I haven't decided on when to add them yet.
With these adjuncts added after fermentation is complete and the lactose I feel this would make a nice Imperial Stout and those additions will compliment it nicely. Fingers crossed!

Genuine

Reaction score
I wanted to report back that mine kegged and carbonated. This one knocks it out of the park! It's everything I want in an Imperial Stout! It's perfectly roasty, beautiful chocolate notes, clean bitterness, with a silky mouthfeel. It's my absolute favorite stout I've made so far. I definitely want to rebrew it, however I wonder now how it'll be with a lower FG and more abv. Brew the base recipe, you won't regret it whatsoever and your friends who enjoy stouts will definitely be raving about it. It has a touch of sweetness since my FG was 1.030 however it's not incredibly noticeable..

Last edited: