Black Forest Gateaux Mead....would it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeltar

Reaction score
Hey guys just racked my first Mead into secondary and think I've well and truly caught the Mead making bug.

Being a chef a billion flavour combinations popped into my head to try and when I asked the Mrs the idea popped up about black forest gateaux Mead.

Spoke to a few friends and the idea keeps niggling away. So thought I'd bring it here to you drunken misfits to refine it.

----------

My idea was:

1lb dark cherries or morello cherries soaked for 2 days in kirsch and a few vanilla pods.

Lalvin EC1118 yeast

6lbs of wild Heather honey

1lb cocoa nibs

The vanilla soaked in kirsch

Water

Raisins

Nutrients as needed.

-----------

So opinions? Hates likes ideas etc all welcome, one of my concerns is the verrrrrry fine line between cherry alcohol and that medicinal nasty taste.

Z.

One gallon batch this is for but easily adaptable for a 3 or 5 gallon I should think

If my google-fu is up to par, then kirsch is a cherry brandy, yeah?

Were you planning on making the mead and then adding the brandy?

Otherwise I think the brandy would kill the yeast.

If it were me, I would take straight cherry juice (or 5 lbs of cherries in one gallon of water), a half of a vanilla bean, and half of the cocoa nibs, along with 4 lbs of honey.
All above for one gallon, scale up as needed.
Ferment out until below 1.00 SG.

Soak 1 lb of cherries in kirsch, along with the other 1/2 vanilla bean.
After racking mead, add infused kirsch and backsweeten with honey.

eta: a banana wouldn't hurt for a little body and nutrients and wouldn't really add anything to the overall flavor profile.

Back