Black Forest Cake Imperial Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trav77

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1968 London ESB
Yeast Starter
1.75 L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
36 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9 Days @ 19'C
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 Days @ 19'C
Tasting Notes
Pretty much what it sounds like. Boozy dark chocolate and a prominent sour cherry flavour. There is a very nice interplay between the sweetness of the malt and alcohol and the brightness of the sour cherries.
I got a request to post my recipe for Black Forest Cake Imperial Porter so here it is. This is a fantastic holiday sipper.

Medium heavy with lots of dark malt and chocolate flavour but nicely balanced with some acidity from the cherries. Dangerously drinkable despite its high ABV. It calculates to approx 11% without the secondary fermentation which will push it a bit higher (12% ?).

The cherries are from my own trees which are mostly Evans with some Juliet. I have not tried this with sweet cherries nor have I tried it with commercial puree, etc. To me nothing really compares to sour cherries in season, so if you can get your hands on some I highly recommend turning them into this beer. The vanilla doesn't come through much but is more there to bring out both the chocolate and cherry. If you want a more pronounced vanilla flavour, use more.

I use full volume recirculating BIAB with no sparge so mash efficiency with this large of a beer is only in the neighbourhood of 50%. I've included both % and absolute quantities of the specialty malts so it can be scaled for other systems. I'd recommend leaving the specialty malts at their listed weights and adjust the base malt to hit target OG of approx 1.100 on your system. Also, plenty of opportunity to sparge it and make a smaller beer with the second runnings.

4.7 g CaCl
3.9 g NaHCO3 (baking soda)
2.7 g CaSO4 (gypsum)
39 L RO water (full volume BIAB with no sparge)

Target room temp mash pH 5.6-5.7

91% Canada Malting Two-Row Pale
3% (450 g) Crystal 60
3% (450 g) Pale Chocolate
2% (340 g) Carafa II
1% (180 g) Crystal 120

Single infusion mash at 68 C / 154 F for 60 min.

51 IBU - Magnum - Boil 60 min
250 g - Cocoa - Boil 5 min
1/2 - Whirlfloc tablet - Boil 5 min

Wyeast 1968 London ESB in a large 1.75 L starter.

Ferment at 19 C.

3 kg Sour Cherries
2 Vanilla Beans

Puree the cherries in a blender or food processor. Bring to a boil to sterilize and skim foam from the top. Split the vanilla beans lengthwise, scrape out the seeds and add both the pods and the seeds to the cherry puree. Cover, cool and add directly to the primary once the initial fermentation is complete. For me this was around day 8 or 9. Leave the cherry puree in for 3 days secondary fermentation then cold crash for a couple days and rack. There will be a LOT of trub/cocoa/cherry sludge so plan accordingly. It's difficult to rack so start high in the clear beer and lower it gradually. Don't just drop your racking cane in the sludge layer. Also I would not recommend using a sediment excluder as it just clogs with cherry bits. If you have a conical with a dump valve your life will be easier! I left behind about a full 4 L / 1 gallon and only ended up with a 4 gallon batch of final product.

Enjoy! If anyone else brews this let me know how it turns out!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this.

About those grain percentages ... if 9% = 1.42 kg, does that mean that the two-row is 15.8 kg (1.42 / .09)?

Even if I just assume my normal efficiency (which I won't be able to hit) that's still about 10 kg total grain, which is around 3 kg higher than I've gone before.

How big a kettle do you need to handle that much grain in a full volume / no sparge BIAB (which is what I do too)?

Thanks for posting this.

About those grain percentages ... if 9% = 1.42 kg, does that mean that the two-row is 15.8 kg (1.42 / .09)?

Even if I just assume my normal efficiency (which I won't be able to hit) that's still about 10 kg total grain, which is around 3 kg higher than I've gone before.

How big a kettle do you need to handle that much grain in a full volume / no sparge BIAB (which is what I do too)?

Yeah the base malt was ~ 15 kg. It completely maxes out my 15 gallon kettle.

Also with that much grain and thicker mash, it does create some additional suction from the recirculation pump and attempts to pull the BIAB bag down from the lip of the kettle once in a while. My system works wonders on typical strength beers... it's pretty much hands off. But when the gravity gets this high, it's a bit of a struggle. Make sure you have a good hoist or a friend to help you lift the bag out!

One other option if you don't have the capacity is to use as much base malt as possible for your system, then adjust the pre-boil gravity to target with some extract.

IMG_0606.jpg

Looks awesome.

I've put it on my "To Brew" list that I keep in BeerSmith for a future brew day.

Max OG that I've done with my equipment has been 1.078 and I want to successfully step that up up once or twice before attempting something this big.

Not a huge fan of ESB yeasts in general, so I have to ask if you've tried it with a cleaner yeast at all? I'm really intrigued at the idea of a bigger, simpler, flavoured porter.

Not a huge fan of ESB yeasts in general, so I have to ask if you've tried it with a cleaner yeast at all? I'm really intrigued at the idea of a bigger, simpler, flavoured porter.

I haven't done it with a neutral yeast although it would probably work out fine with a large number of different yeasts. I chose 1968 because I wanted a lower attenuating strain so it finishes >1.020. If you go with something with higher attenuation, I would up the mash temp if you want a sweeter finish. I would not go any drier with this amount of sour cherries or the tartness will take over a bit much IMO. As it is, there is a nice sweet/tart balance going on. Also in this case, the cocoa and cherry really dominate the flavour profile, so there isn't much in the way of yeast derived aromatics.

I got a request to post my recipe for Black Forest Cake Imperial Porter so here it is. This is a fantastic holiday sipper.

Medium heavy with lots of dark malt and chocolate flavour but nicely balanced with some acidity from the cherries. Dangerously drinkable despite its high ABV. It calculates to approx 11% without the secondary fermentation which will push it a bit higher (12% ?).

The cherries are from my own trees which are mostly Evans with some Juliet. I have not tried this with sweet cherries nor have I tried it with commercial puree, etc. To me nothing really compares to sour cherries in season, so if you can get your hands on some I highly recommend turning them into this beer. The vanilla doesn't come through much but is more there to bring out both the chocolate and cherry. If you want a more pronounced vanilla flavour, use more.

I use full volume recirculating BIAB with no sparge so mash efficiency with this large of a beer is only in the neighbourhood of 50%. I've included both % and absolute quantities of the specialty malts so it can be scaled for other systems. I'd recommend leaving the specialty malts at their listed weights and adjust the base malt to hit target OG of approx 1.100 on your system. Also, plenty of opportunity to sparge it and make a smaller beer with the second runnings.

4.7 g CaCl
3.9 g NaHCO3 (baking soda)
2.7 g CaSO4 (gypsum)
39 L RO water (full volume BIAB with no sparge)

Target room temp mash pH 5.6-5.7

91% Canada Malting Two-Row Pale
3% (450 g) Crystal 60
3% (450 g) Pale Chocolate
2% (340 g) Carafa II
1% (180 g) Crystal 120

Single infusion mash at 68 C / 154 F for 60 min.

51 IBU - Magnum - Boil 60 min
250 g - Cocoa - Boil 5 min
1/2 - Whirlfloc tablet - Boil 5 min

Wyeast 1968 London ESB in a large 1.75 L starter.

Ferment at 19 C.

3 kg Sour Cherries
2 Vanilla Beans

Puree the cherries in a blender or food processor. Bring to a boil to sterilize and skim foam from the top. Split the vanilla beans lengthwise, scrape out the seeds and add both the pods and the seeds to the cherry puree. Cover, cool and add directly to the primary once the initial fermentation is complete. For me this was around day 8 or 9. Leave the cherry puree in for 3 days secondary fermentation then cold crash for a couple days and rack. There will be a LOT of trub/cocoa/cherry sludge so plan accordingly. It's difficult to rack so start high in the clear beer and lower it gradually. Don't just drop your racking cane in the sludge layer. Also I would not recommend using a sediment excluder as it just clogs with cherry bits. If you have a conical with a dump valve your life will be easier! I left behind about a full 4 L / 1 gallon and only ended up with a 4 gallon batch of final product.

Enjoy! If anyone else brews this let me know how it turns out!
Is the amount of cherries before or after you've pitted them?

Is the amount of cherries before or after you've pitted them?

That was after pitting. Depending on your variety of cherry I might even consider dialing it back a touch. I used Evans sour cherries. It's pretty intense (but quite good).

Back