Black and Tan's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmick

Reaction score
I'm interested in finding out if it is possible to making a 'Black and Tan' with two home brews; if so, what two brews would be recommended?

Mick :)

The 'Black and Tan' I'm used to, was Guiness Stout(draft) and Bass Ale(draft) served at 62%. Any particular stout home brew and pale ale home brew suggestions would be appreciated ;)

Mick

bigmick said:
The 'Black and Tan' I'm used to, was Guiness Stout(draft) and Bass Ale(draft) served at 62%. Any particular stout home brew and pale ale home brew suggestions would be appreciated ;)

Mick

I usually get a Black & Gold....it's Guinness and Harp.......on a side note, I always had to laugh at the name "Black & Tan".....I would think that to the Irish, ordering one of those would be llike ordering a "Gestapo" in a bar in Tel Aviv....

Thanks! I'll try it; I agree with the misnomenclature :D

I*'ve found an Irish stout and a pale ale recipes; I'll brew those two, and see if I can come up with a reasonable substitute for a 'B & T'.

bigmick said:
Thanks! I'll try it; I agree with the misnomenclature :D

I*'ve found an Irish stout and a pale ale recipes; I'll brew those two, and see if I can come up with a reasonable substitute for a 'B & T'.

Heheh...right on! The misnomenclature's more of a joke with me. I am of Irish descent, but if you sanitize history, you're forced to repeat it....but that has little to do with homebrewing!!

i always thought the republicans (irish free state folks, not the u.s. political party) drank black and tans to mock the british troopers who were occupying the country, as their uniforms were black shirts and tan pants... and to celebrate the easter uprising in 1916... ;)

You've read in history pages the heroes of great fame
the deeds they done and battles won And how they made their name.
But the boys who made the history for the Orange, White and Green,
were the boys who died in Dublin town in 1916.

Chorus:
Meet the boys from Kerry, take the boys from Clare
From Dublin Wicklow Donegal and the boys from old Kildare
Some came from a land across the sea, from Boston and New York
But the boys who beat the Black and Tans Were the boys from County Cork

or

Come out ye Black & Tans!
Come out and fight me like a man.
Show your wife how you won medals
Down in Flanders.
Tell her how the IRA
Made you run like hell away
From the green and lovely lanes
Of Killeshandra!

don't mind me, i can sing you obscure irish rebel tunes all night... ;)

t1master said:

Right on........Flogging Molly "What's Left of The Flag"...Oi! Hehehehe.....

I went to Dublin for St. Pat's of 2000...went to the General Post Office....all the bullets holes are still visible in the front columns...

t1master said:
Come out ye Black & Tans!
Come out and fight me like a man.
Show your wife how you won medals
Down in Flanders.
Tell her how the IRA
Made you run like hell away
From the green and lovely lanes
Of Killeshandra!

Bravo, BRAVO!!!!

More, we need more!!! :p :cool:

Keep 'em coming! The history lessons are fun and instructional :D

Thanks for the brewing tips!

Mick

Back