Quantcast

Black and Tan's

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bigmick

Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I'm interested in finding out if it is possible to making a 'Black and Tan' with two home brews; if so, what two brews would be recommended?

Mick :)
 
OP
B

bigmick

Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
The 'Black and Tan' I'm used to, was Guiness Stout(draft) and Bass Ale(draft) served at 62%. Any particular stout home brew and pale ale home brew suggestions would be appreciated ;)

Mick
 

NUCC98

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
Location
Providence, RI
bigmick said:
The 'Black and Tan' I'm used to, was Guiness Stout(draft) and Bass Ale(draft) served at 62%. Any particular stout home brew and pale ale home brew suggestions would be appreciated ;)

Mick
I usually get a Black & Gold....it's Guinness and Harp.......on a side note, I always had to laugh at the name "Black & Tan".....I would think that to the Irish, ordering one of those would be llike ordering a "Gestapo" in a bar in Tel Aviv....
 
OP
B

bigmick

Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Thanks! I'll try it; I agree with the misnomenclature :D

I*'ve found an Irish stout and a pale ale recipes; I'll brew those two, and see if I can come up with a reasonable substitute for a 'B & T'.
 

NUCC98

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
Location
Providence, RI
bigmick said:
Thanks! I'll try it; I agree with the misnomenclature :D

I*'ve found an Irish stout and a pale ale recipes; I'll brew those two, and see if I can come up with a reasonable substitute for a 'B & T'.

Heheh...right on! The misnomenclature's more of a joke with me. I am of Irish descent, but if you sanitize history, you're forced to repeat it....but that has little to do with homebrewing!!
 

uglygoat

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
2,765
Reaction score
10
Location
Clebland, OH
i always thought the republicans (irish free state folks, not the u.s. political party) drank black and tans to mock the british troopers who were occupying the country, as their uniforms were black shirts and tan pants... and to celebrate the easter uprising in 1916... ;)


You've read in history pages the heroes of great fame
the deeds they done and battles won And how they made their name.
But the boys who made the history for the Orange, White and Green,
were the boys who died in Dublin town in 1916.


Chorus:
Meet the boys from Kerry, take the boys from Clare
From Dublin Wicklow Donegal and the boys from old Kildare
Some came from a land across the sea, from Boston and New York
But the boys who beat the Black and Tans Were the boys from County Cork


or

Come out ye Black & Tans!
Come out and fight me like a man.
Show your wife how you won medals
Down in Flanders.
Tell her how the IRA
Made you run like hell away
From the green and lovely lanes
Of Killeshandra!


don't mind me, i can sing you obscure irish rebel tunes all night... ;)
 

NUCC98

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
Location
Providence, RI
t1master said:
don't mind me, i can sing you obscure irish rebel tunes all night... ;)
Right on........Flogging Molly "What's Left of The Flag"...Oi! Hehehehe.....

I went to Dublin for St. Pat's of 2000...went to the General Post Office....all the bullets holes are still visible in the front columns...
 

Dude

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
8,768
Reaction score
116
Location
Ramstein-Miesenbach
t1master said:
Come out ye Black & Tans!
Come out and fight me like a man.
Show your wife how you won medals
Down in Flanders.
Tell her how the IRA
Made you run like hell away
From the green and lovely lanes
Of Killeshandra!


don't mind me, i can sing you obscure irish rebel tunes all night... ;)

Bravo, BRAVO!!!!

More, we need more!!! :p :cool:
 
OP
B

bigmick

Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Keep 'em coming! The history lessons are fun and instructional :D

Thanks for the brewing tips!

Mick
 
Top