BJCP Written Exam Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/The-Blog.html?entry=beer-judge-certification-program-written

I've progressed through the Beer Judge Certification Program to where I now qualify to take the third of three exams. To get to this point, I've passed the multiple choice entrance exam, achieved a score of 80+ on the beer evaluation exam, and acquired 20 experience points by judging at competitions. Last weekend, four of us in Chicago took the exam, which was administered by BJCP Grand Master II judge Brian Eichorn.

certpin.jpg

After taking the exam, I'm not optimistic. Despite reviewing for the exam, I found that I was extremely rushed and, in hindsight, am kicking myself for what I didn't say on some of the questions. I feel that I was so focused on regurgitating answers I had memorized that I didn't play to my strength, which is a strong understanding of how brewing works. For example, I could have written a book on how the ingredients and recipe in the Weizen recipe I provided fit and impact the style, and instead I wrote three or four short sentences. Doh.

Given my beer evaluation exam score (85%), I would need a 75% or greater on this written exam to move up a rank, from Certified to National judge. I don't think I got that, but won't know for sure for a few months, as the exams from across the country are graded. In any case, I can retake the exam and the process certainly wasn't a waste - reviewing the materials enhanced my knowledge in many ways.

The written exam begins with 20 true/false questions which senior judges are expected to know and to be able to answer quickly. Missing any of these questions takes off 1 point from your total score (out of 100). Correct answers do not add to your score.

The main portion of the exam is five essay questions, each worth 20% of the total score. Below are the questions that were one my exam. Providing these questions doesn't break any confidentiality, the BJCP study materials provide all the possible questions which may be on an exam. In any case, here are the essay questions from the exam I took:

1. For each of the three styles, Foreign Extra Stout, Robust Porter and Sweet Stout, provide a statement describing the styles as well as the differences and similarities between the styles by addressing each of the following topics:
- Describe the aroma, appearance, flavor and mouthfeel of each style as in the BJCP Style Guidelines
- Identify at least one aspect of the ingredients (malts, hop, water chemistry) or background information (history, fermentation techniques or conditions, serving methods) that distinguishes each style
- For each of the styles, list at least one classic commercial example of the style as listed in the BJCP STyle Guidelines
- Describe the similarities and differences between the three styles

2. Provide a complete all-grain recipe for Weizen/Weissbier, including:
- Target statistics (starting specific gravity, final specific gravity, and bitterness in IBUs or HBUs), and color (as SRM or a textual description of color)
- Batch size, ingredients (grist, hops, water and yeast) and their quantities
- Mashing, boiling, fermentation, packaging and other relevant brewing procedures
- Explain how the recipe fits the style’s characteristics for flavor, aroma, appearance, mouthfeel and other significant aspects of the style and describe how the ingredients and processes used impact this style.

3. For each of the three styles, Biere de Garde, California Common and North German Alt Beer, provide a statement describing the styles as well as the differences and similarities between the styles by addressing each of the following topics:
- Describe the aroma, appearance, flavor and mouthfeel of each style as in the BJCP Style Guidelines
- Identify at least one aspect of the ingredients (malts, hop, water chemistry) or background information (history, fermentation techniques or conditions, serving methods) that distinguishes each style
- For each of the styles, list at least one classic commercial example of the style as listed in the BJCP STyle Guidelines
- Describe the similarities and differences between the three styles

4. Describe and discuss the following three beer characteristics: a) phenolic, b) fruitiness and c) sourness. What causes them and how are they avoided and controlled? Are they ever appropriate and, if so, in what beer styles? Address the following topics:
- Describe each characteristic and how it is perceived
- Identify the causes and controls for each characteristic
- Identify appropriate/inappropriate styles

5. This question addresses two separate ingredients, malt and yeast. Please provide the following information in your answer: 1) Identify and describe the different types of malts by their color and the flavor they impart to beer, and give at least four distinct style with which specific malts are associated. 2) Provide five distinct considerations in selecting the appropriate yeast strain for a given beer style.

I have seen you judge, and I know that your have a strong understanding of all that is in the exam. You also have the skill of picking the right word to convey what it is you are trying to say.

In other words, I think it sounds like you did quite well and I expect that you will be a National Judge soon.

Did Kyle N. take the exam at the same time? I thought he mentioned he was, at about the same time, but I didn't know if you were at the same exam.

I have seen you judge, and I know that your have a strong understanding of all that is in the exam. You also have the skill of picking the right word to convey what it is you are trying to say.

In other words, I think it sounds like you did quite well and I expect that you will be a National Judge soon.

Did Kyle N. take the exam at the same time? I thought he mentioned he was, at about the same time, but I didn't know if you were at the same exam.

Kyle did take the exam with me - there were a total of four of us taking it in Chicago as part of the national quarterly system. I'm sure Kyle did fine, but I will be surprised if I scored a 75, which is what i needed.

I know it's late in the day but best of luck if not this time then I'm sure you'll nail it next time around.

Thanks for sharing the questions and the process. Intriguing to read them.

It really shows the level of self-education, passion and dedication that goes into becoming a certified judge. It is humbling to see folks like yourself putting so much time and effort into this venture for the benefit of all competition entrants myself included. Granted, I'm sure you enjoy the learning and judging, but nonetheless, hats off!

That is one tough written examination. Unrelated to beer, I've done my fair share. As questions go, those are some in-depth doozies.

There can't be too many national judges. I wish you every success.

Thanks for sharing the questions and the process. Intriguing to read them.

I thought HBTers might enjoy seeing the questions. They follow the same pattern, but the specifics for each question are different each time the exam is given. In other words, three other styles are chosen for the style questions, another style is chosen for the recipe formulation question, other off-flavors are chosen for that question, and the different aspects are chosen for the brewing process and ingredients question.

And you're right, I did find it helpful and interesting to go through the process of reviewing and preparing for the exam. If the time limit was a little longer, it wouldn't be quite such a bear. Ninty minutes rushed me, especially on the sytle comparison questions.

Back