BJCP Style Dashboard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackelbow

Reaction score
Hi there brewers.

I made a little excel dashboard that shows charts and graphs of key info for the BJCP 2015 beer styles, including comparisons for average values over all the styles. Others have probably done similar things, but I couldn't find them on HBT. I was unable to post the spreadsheet to this forum, but you can find a copy here:
https://github.com/blackelbow/BJCP-style-dashboard

You select a style (on the left) and get graphs of OG, ABV, IBU and so on (to the right). I got tired of skimming through the full BJCP guidelines when I just wanted to know what OG to target and this is my solution. Hopefully it saves you some time.

I'd be very interested in suggestions to improve this and make it even more useful. I wasn't sure where to post it, so I figured the beginners forum was to good place to start :p

THANK YOU!! I integrated the style information into my recipe building spreadsheet which you can see here:

https://github.com/maxmilan4/extract-recipe-builder

I like the graphics and metrics on your spreadsheet as well; it's pretty neat to see all that with graphs. Nice work! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one crazy enough to spend hours making cool brewing Excel files (for fun...???). Thanks again for your effort!

Glad you found some use for it! ...And that there are others following the Tao of Excel. The all grain to extract converter in your spreadsheet looks very helpful. I was thinking of doing something similar, but I guess I've been beaten to the punch!

Glad you found some use for it! ...And that there are others following the Tao of Excel. The all grain to extract converter in your spreadsheet looks very helpful. I was thinking of doing something similar, but I guess I've been beaten to the punch!

I made it based on John Pamer's advice from How to Brew (4th Ed.) pp. 53 in chapter 4. I don't see that section in the online version, but if you go here and scroll down to that page, you can see it.

I'm thinking the caramel malt in the Rye LME is just going to be taken as is... I wasn't super clear on how that fits into the conversion. If you figure something out, certainly let me know!

I made it based on John Pamer's advice from How to Brew (4th Ed.) pp. 53 in chapter 4. I don't see that section in the online version, but if you go here and scroll down to that page, you can see it.

I'm thinking the caramel malt in the Rye LME is just going to be taken as is... I wasn't super clear on how that fits into the conversion. If you figure something out, certainly let me know!

Yeah, good question. According to Northern Brewer's product page on rye LME, it's 70% US 2-row, 20% rye malt, and 10% US crystal 40L. So a 6 lb jug of the rye LME would be 4 lbs and 3.2 oz of 2-row, 1 lb and 3.2 oz of rye malt, and 9.6 oz of crystal 40.

Say you had an all-grain recipe with 9 lbs of 2-row, 1 lb of rye malt, and no crystal. It looks like there's no way to do that as a pure extract batch due to the proportions. If I had to, I would try to convert all-grain to partial mash. A small mash of just 2-row and rye would dilute the crystal a bit. But I don't know if excel could handle those calculations!

Thanks for sharing your work. I look forward to downloading both.

Thanks, screwy! Big fan of your site--I may or may not have a different excel file that rips off your batch bottle sizing calculator. If you can't beat 'em...

Back