BJCP Exam Tips - LONG post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I went through and updated the links, along with a little information (nothing major). Let me know if you have any questions about the exam or the BJCP materials.

TL

Thanks. I went through and updated the links, along with a little information (nothing major). Let me know if you have any questions about the exam or the BJCP materials.

TL

Thanks a lot. I printed out most of the stuff from the bjcp website. I also got in contact with an LHBS that will be running classes before the exam in February. Hopefully I'll be able to learn the off flavors in this class as this is the only thing I'm not really sure how to study for.

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to follow up on this post since I just got my scores today from the 2/28 exam (we had a large exam group which takes the BJCP graders longer to handle than normal).

For anyone who decides to cram at the last minute, there is hope. I started studying 15 days before the exam and managed to get an 82 (81 written, 84 tasting). I wouldn't recommend this method, but at least it's an option if you just find out about an exam and can dedicate a fair amount of time to cramming. I also took a practice exam in that time which was very helpful.

Really though, if you can find a study group and absorb the info over time, that would be much better. Good luck!

-Brandon

I just wanted to follow up on this post since I just got my scores today from the 2/28 exam (we had a large exam group which takes the BJCP graders longer to handle than normal).
How many were in your group? I took it 5 months ago with about 17 people and have heard nothing.

Congrats on the good score though!

How many were in your group? I took it 5 months ago with about 17 people and have heard nothing.

Congrats on the good score though!

I don't remember the exact number but I think it was somewhere in the 30s. I talked to some of the BJCP guys at NHC and it sounds like they're swamped but trying to get more graders up to speed at the same time. I forget the numbers but the number of people taking the test has sharply increased in the past year or two so they're still figuring out how to deal with the increased volume.

Congratulations, Brandon! That is a great result!

There definitely are more people taking the exam, nowadays, and fewer graders to carry the load. It also does not help that some of the graders (like me) are not buckling down and getting their work done. Just like most everyone else, it has been a weird year for many graders and, sometimes, life gets in the way. We ask for and appreciate your patience. :mug:

TL

I'm in no rush to take another certification exam, the last one I did (CISSP) seems to have soured me on pressure studying and long exams. I get enough at work.
BUT. This does sound like interesting information, and I love to study the material just to know it. A lot of people mentioned putting together study material, etc. Has anyone put them together in a repository? I think it would be a fantastic sticky also.
I don't see an exam happening any time soon in Hawaii, so there is no rush. Heck, I think studying for the exam would be a lot more fun than taking it. :)

Congratulations, Brandon! That is a great result!

There definitely are more people taking the exam, nowadays, and fewer graders to carry the load. It also does not help that some of the graders (like me) are not buckling down and getting their work done. Just like most everyone else, it has been a weird year for many graders and, sometimes, life gets in the way. We ask for and appreciate your patience. :mug:

TL

Thanks TexLaw. I was obviously eager to get the result but didn't mind the wait. And after learning how much time and effort the graders put in to doing a great job with each individual exam, in addition to the logistics of grading a large group, I definitely understand the delay. I'm just glad there are guys like you out there who volunteer to put in the time necessary to do such a good, detailed job grading.

A lot of people mentioned putting together study material, etc. Has anyone put them together in a repository? I think it would be a fantastic sticky also.

Nearly everything you truly need to study (i.e., the stuff I linked above) is on the BJCP website. That is about as good a repository as anyone would need. You have the guidelines, the study guide, the exam grader's guide, and wonderful example scoresheets. Anyone else going through the trouble of building a repository could do little more than duplicate it.

I am working on a list of other tips that is coming from my experience as a grader, just so that participants might avoid losing some easy points. If I ever actually get it done, I will be happy to post it up here.

If anyone wants to make a sticky, this is becoming a pretty good thread for that. I am not a big fan of stickies, but if you want one . . . .

TL

Thanks TexLaw. I was obviously eager to get the result but didn't mind the wait. And after learning how much time and effort the graders put in to doing a great job with each individual exam, in addition to the logistics of grading a large group, I definitely understand the delay. I'm just glad there are guys like you out there who volunteer to put in the time necessary to do such a good, detailed job grading.

Thanks, again. Yeah, grading an exam can take almost as long as taking it!

TL

I kind of forgot about this thread. Thought i would post a couple tips/strategies that helped me when I was studying and taking the exam.

1. Don't just read the style guidelines and try to memorize them. It is tough and moving that much information into long term memory can be very difficult. Instead try to imagine you are drinking a commercial example of the style while you read the guide. It of course helps if you have had one, try to recall your memories of what the beer smelled and tasted like. If you have time, I would suggest going and seeking out a commercial example of the styles you are not familiar with, sit down with the beer and the guidelines and drink the beer while thinking about the aroma, taste, body, etc. Consult the guide to make sure your tastes are on track. If you have never had a Munich Dunkel, go get one. You will remeber more about drinking the beer than what is written in the guidelines.

Humans have a great ability to tie flavors and aromas to memory. Smell is one of the most powerful memory jogging agents. Use this to you advantage when you are preparing for the test.

2. (this is my opinion, others may disagree) Don't memorize numbers. I just think it is a waste of space in your brain that could be used for other more worthwhile information. If you have mastered all the other material, I guess you can do it.

3. It is almost guaranteed that you will get a question on one of the following: hop, malt, yeast, water. The questions are in the study guide. Sit down and practice writing the answers to these questions. There is no excuse for having to waste any time thinking about how you will answer these.

4. Same goes for the "three locations" and troubleshooting. Practice writing these, don't just think about it. Having written it once in practice will keep you from stumbling on the test. Time is precious.

5. During the test pace yourself. You really have less time than you think. Bring a watch. I spent way too much time on Q1 and had to rush on some of the later questions. All the questions are worth the same number of points. Some of the questions will require less writing, don't focus on detail of a longer question (like a style question) while neglecting parts of the shorter questions (like the troubleshooting).

6. Having the tasting beers brought to you can really throw off your concentration. Pay attention, when you see the exam administrator get up and it looks like he/she is going to get beer, start to wrap up your current thought. If you have to, let the tasting beer sit for a minute and wrap up what you were previously working on.

7. (this goes for judging too, not just the exam) Don't make assumptions about the brewing process. You can make suggestions about correcting problems without making any assumptions about process. Saying something like "beer seems astringent, you sparged too hot" is wrong (IMO, even if the brewer did). A better comment would be "beer seems astringent, one source of this is sparging too hot." Making statements that make assumptions about the brewing process can be frustrating to people when they get the sheets back when they are not true.

Those are great tips. I especially agree with nos. 1, 3 and 4.

With regard to #1, that really is the way you should approach describing a style. You need to think about it somewhat holistically, and that will help you remember all the little parts. I was grading an exam where, for every British style beer that came up, the participant would say "no diacetyl." That is jsut incorrect, as low levels of diacetyl are acceptable in British beers (at least, all the ones I can think of off-hand). I expect that the participant was concentrating more on the written guidelines than the actual beer when making that mistake.

With regard to nos. 3 and 4, you certainly can and should know those cold before going in. I'll all also add the troubleshooting question to that one. All three test a limited amount of information that likely will also help you throughout the exam.

I am one of those that do disagree on #2, though. If you can get out those numbers on the recipe and style description answers, you gain immediate credibility with the exam grader, and you give yourself a framework in which to set the rest of your answer. It is a lot of trouble, but it can have tremendous payoffs. If you really are shooting for a National rank, you probably need to get those numbers straight. If you shooting for Master, they are a virtual necessity.

TL

If you really are shooting for a National rank, you probably need to get those numbers straight. If you shooting for Master, they are a virtual necessity.

I know from conversations and such that this is in fact not true. You may need to know the numbers to get a masters level score on the particular question, but since it is the overall average to all the questions that determines the score, you can get a 90 on the test without knowing them.

But, I general I agree with you, knowing those numbers (as well as the rest of the style guidelines) goes a long way in showing that you know your stuff. But, my only addition to that is that the numbers should be the last thing to remeber. IMO, it is more important to nail the flavor/aroma/mouthfeel descriptions than to know the numbers.

Just got my results in the mail, right now I am Recognized until I get another 2.5 points then I will be certified. The tasting portion I was the same score as the proctors except one of the beers and I was real close on that one too. This is a good reminder that when I am talking beer I need to remember to dumb it down. Some of the real basic stuff I just expect people to know or I forget that not everyone does and skim right over it. Everything I missed I could tell you in my sleep but just don't even think about writing it down cause it's so basic I don't even think about it. I have always been bad a taking tests for this reason. But overall I am happy that I don't have to take it again, I will probably never get enough judging points to move above Certified anyway.

So, due to family constraints, I have a hard time making it to the local homebrew meetings. I would really like a book that I could buy that would take me through the tastings of some of the classic examples of each of the styles, so that I could help hone in my palate.

I was thinking about something like MJ's Ultimate Beer, but I was wondering if you guys had any ideas as to better or additional resources.

Took my exam today. It went as expected and I felt well prepared to answer all the questions completely and intelligently. Tex ain't lying - preparation for the all grain recipe is absolutely crucial and time management is imperative.

:mug:

Since this thread was linked in another, recently, I took a moment to reread it.

FYI to all, the format of the exam has changed slightly. The "classic" question no longer leads the test off. Instead, you are still asked the purposes of BJCP, but then you answer 15 true or false questions regarding judging procedures and practices. Also, one of the short answer/essay questions now is a question where you fill in a judging sheet for a 50-point beer of a given style (i.e., English Barleywine).

TL

I've been studying for a month and I still don't think I'm ready to take it this Saturday.

Took my exam today. It went as expected and I felt well prepared to answer all the questions completely and intelligently. Tex ain't lying - preparation for the all grain recipe is absolutely crucial and time management is imperative.

Hmmm, I just took it a few weeks ago, and I'm trying to figure out what was difficult about the AG recipe? As brewers we make recipes all the time no? Just take 2mins to learn some rules of thumb for lbs of grain = OG and same for hops.
If you know the style and have brewed for a bit, the picking of ingredients takes all of 2 seconds.

Hmmm, I just took it a few weeks ago, and I'm trying to figure out what was difficult about the AG recipe? As brewers we make recipes all the time no? Just take 2mins to learn some rules of thumb for lbs of grain = OG and same for hops.
If you know the style and have brewed for a bit, the picking of ingredients takes all of 2 seconds.

There's nothing very difficult about it . . . if you prepare. It sounds like you prepared well, so you should be able to sail through it.

And, you may be surprised by how many brewers do not work up their own recipes or have any concern about those rules of thumb or the choice and character of ingredients. Many just buy kits (extract or all-grain). That's no judgment on them, but they have a bit more preparation to undertake.

TL

Took the exam on 12/5/09... still no results. I'm not going to raise a stink about it unless I get to around the 9 month mark and still haven't heard anything. I was in a group with maybe 20-25 others. 5 or 6 of which were only doing the tasting portion.

I'm taking the exam in less that a month and I'm starting to feel the stress. In my ever growing pile of resources I have a copy of a powerpoint called "Mastering the BJCP Exam" by Gordon Strong. In the common mistakes section he bullets "Providing detail that doesn't contribute to your score."
I have the point breakdown of the written sections but I'm still kind of confused on what are some details that wouldn't contribute to my score?

For example, I know many beer styles shouldn't have diacetyl as noted in their description but is listing flavors that a beer style should not have earn any points? How much detail do I have to write for the 6 points to describe a style?

Thanks for your tips.

I'm taking the exam in less that a month and I'm starting to feel the stress. In my ever growing pile of resources I have a copy of a powerpoint called "Mastering the BJCP Exam" by Gordon Strong. In the common mistakes section he bullets "Providing detail that doesn't contribute to your score."
I have the point breakdown of the written sections but I'm still kind of confused on what are some details that wouldn't contribute to my score?

For example, I know many beer styles shouldn't have diacetyl as noted in their description but is listing flavors that a beer style should not have earn any points? How much detail do I have to write for the 6 points to describe a style?

Thanks for your tips.

Here is what I think Gordon is getting at, having relatively little experience with the BJCP exam (I took it) but a lot with some different essay exams.

Listing that a beer style does not have diacetyl is not extraneous as it is listed on the style guideline for many styles.

What Gordon is getting at is that people are really good about answering questions that nobody asked. Look at Gordon's example of a fairly verbose answer with an average score and a terse answer with a perfect score. The first answer answers some things that weren't asked.

So if I ask you to name three cities and describe the water there and how it affects the beers, don't start telling me everything you know about water. Tell me thee cities and describe the water....

So basically answer what was asked, everything that was asked and nothing that wasn't asked.

Took the exam on 12/5/09... still no results. I'm not going to raise a stink about it unless I get to around the 9 month mark and still haven't heard anything. I was in a group with maybe 20-25 others. 5 or 6 of which were only doing the tasting portion.

We took ours in June of 2009 before NHC, so about mid month. I think we finally got results in March 14th of 2010.

So it was a full term baby.

We took ours in June of 2009 before NHC, so about mid month. I think we finally got results in March 14th of 2010.

I just realized this.... I won't even live in the same state by the time they get around to mailing it to me. :confused:

Thanks for your tips.

Remilard pretty much hit the nail on the head. Detail, depth, and breadth are good, but only to the extent the question calls for it. To further Remilard's example, if a question asks you to describe a style, it can score you some points to briefly describe the proper water profile for that style (e.g., Bohemian Pilsners typically are brewed with very soft water, while German Pilsners typically are brewed with harder water that is higher in sulfates which contributes to their sharper hop character). However, you waste your time to go into the details of water chemistry.

As for your specific example of diacetyl, I think it is a good idea to add "no diacetyl" where that is the case. I have never actually gone through the guidelines to see if it is written, but you know that diacetyl is inappropriate for nearly every lager, the one exception I can think of right off-hand being the Bohemian Pilsner. It takes only moment to write "no diacetyl," and it can be something the grader is looking for.

Of course, you better be correct about that absence of diacetyl. I graded an exam where the participant noted "no diacetyl" for some British styles where mild diacetyl is appropriate. That counted against him. I would like to say that it counted against him no more than if he had failed to mention anything about diacetyl, but the truth is that it made him look like he did not know what he was talking about and just taking some swings.

The most important thing to remember is to get the meat of the question correct. If you are fairly well prepared, it is not terribly hard to get 6 or 7 points out of a question. Trying for that eighth, ninth, and tenth points send you up an ever-steepening curve. Don't sacrifice several points on one question to try and get a point or two on another. Go for the fruit on the ground first.

TL

I just realized this.... I won't even live in the same state by the time they get around to mailing it to me. :confused:

Whatever you do, do not lose your participant/examinee number (whatever it's called). That is the best way to associate your record with you, no matter where you go. Also, if you keep the same email address you registered with, you should have little (if any) problem keeping your record straight. It may take a couple emails to BJCP, but I would not expect more than that. When you move, send an email to the Exam Directorate ([email protected]) with your new address. You might have your BJCP number by then, even if you don't have your exam results.

TL

Unfortunately, that is many participants' experience. There are many, many more people taking the exam when compared to even only a few years ago. However, the number of graders has not increased by much. Graders are volunteers, they have real lives and real jobs, and (as you might expect) many are working more hours than they were a few years ago. They just don't have the spare time to grade like they used to. When you consider that a lead grader spends about as much time grading an exam as a participant spends taking it (maybe more), the delay starts to make sense.

I do know that BJCP tries hard to have exams graded within twelve weeks of the exam date, but that deadline is getting harder and harder to meet. They would rather it take longer than sacrifice the quality.

TL

Thanks guys for the help. Sorry I have one more question.
I couldn't find any detail on how big the pours are for the tasting questions. I have been practicing with 1-2 oz samples because that is what we had, the one and only time I judged. And I imagine it would be the standard small glass tasting cups that they use?

Yes TL, I am completely sympathetic to the plight of the graders. In our case, someone dropped the ball. Quit as i understand it and failed to tell anyone.

I know this because someone in our group tracked that information down over several weeks. My issue would be that, presumably since the (lead grader?) knew who we were and we did not know who they were... well it would have been nice to get an email about that instead of the detective work we did.

They have our email.

Hi, folks. Great thread with great information. As a guy on the net today looking for last-minute explanations to a few things, I ran across the thread. I'm taking my exam tomorrow and am fairly ill-prepared so have no hope of getting the 60 required but the way I look at it: it is a hobby, and this test is like a driver's exam... you can always take the test again to prove you know what you (think you) know.

For other folks who may get a chance to get into a study group, etc. in your area: PREPARE IN ADVANCE, read (and write) the materials often and then REVIEW (and re-write) in the weeks and days leading up to your exam. I've always been a procrastinator and schooling/exams/studying used to come quite easily to me. Last exam I had to study for was back in 1993... so this little puppy is stressin' to high heaven.

All the points given in the thread about imagining you're drinking a style as opposed to just trying to memorize are correct--not a whole lot is sticking at this stage as I'm in the cramming mode now before tomorrow but I will say a lot of 'lights' are beginning to come on now (too late for this time, but will make it easier next time) about certain relationships and the way things/processes go together.

There are a HECK of a lot of styles out there to know (73) and if you see the patterns (I think I ended up seeing 32 'absolute must-knows' in the way I organized recipes, classic brewing centers, and the 3 of this, 3 of that) it takes a bit of the load off.

Also learned just in the past couple days: rather than trying to learn and memorize all the styles down pat, learn more about the appearances and the INGREDIENTS (the BJCP style guides aren't totally helpful/specific with that---do research and look at 'classic' recipes/award-winning recipes)----knowing the limited types of MALTS AND GRAINS and the characteristics they provide to a beer is sure a heck of a lot easier (and easier to understand) than knowing 73 beers that might use that type of malt/ingredient.

Know your malts and grains and adjuncts and hops and yeasts / characteristics. I think I actually heard a 'click' in my brain when I began noticing this was a bit easier to work with.

That aside, I'll be able to say much better tomorrow, but as I 'already know all the questions on the exam'--because the BJCP gives them to you (they're all there, 7 style and 14 technical--just don't know which ONES will be on your exam), I can already say I personally have a problem with the format of the exam.

Suffice to say I'm very happy to see the short answer and T/F type things for the very small % that it counts for. There are ways to prove knowledge without having to write and write and write and write and write.

(this perhaps goes back to my 6 years of University and psychology degree).

More questions, shorter answers, different wording of questions, recognition vs recall. All good ways to prove knowledge levels.

After all, you still have to taste and critique beers and prove that knowledge using your senses and knowledge of A A F M I and off-flavours. And, yes, yes, regurgitating short things (or long things) doesn't prove you understand. It proves you remember (for the time it takes to leave your brain and go out your pen).

Repetition is the key to learning and understanding.
My local group was pretty well set-up and requested homework assignments be turned in every week; because of inherent human laziness and 'real life getting in the way', a good number of us sloughed off those assignments and I now regret it. Trust your instructors (those lucky enough to have folks leading the group; ones who have taken and passed the exam and have been judging for a number of years).

Good luck, everyone!
Like a wise man said: it is a hobby so unless you're trying for National / Master level, just go out there and continue to enjoy your hobby, write for 3 hours, then go back and keep learning. There's a TON to learn and experience in the wide world of brewing. I'm glad I'm back into it after years and years away.

Meal break's over--back to the books!

Wow j you got me stressed out and I still have a few weeks. Good I'm working on the tasting part tonight. Let us know your impressions once you recover from 3 hrs of writing about beer.

Yes TL, I am completely sympathetic to the plight of the graders. In our case, someone dropped the ball. Quit as i understand it and failed to tell anyone.

I know this because someone in our group tracked that information down over several weeks. My issue would be that, presumably since the (lead grader?) knew who we were and we did not know who they were... well it would have been nice to get an email about that instead of the detective work we did.

They have our email.

Jeep Man, you got shafted a bit on that. No doubt about it. The graders absolutely do not have your email or any other information to identify you, though, other than your examinee number. All the grading is done completely blindly. I do not know if the assigned Associate Exam Director has the information. Still, you are correct that someone has it, and you should have been contacted.

TL

Thanks guys for the help. Sorry I have one more question.
I couldn't find any detail on how big the pours are for the tasting questions. I have been practicing with 1-2 oz samples because that is what we had, the one and only time I judged. And I imagine it would be the standard small glass tasting cups that they use?

It is entirely up to the administrator, who does the pouring, but I would expect to have at least a couple ounces. The exam procedures recommend 3-4 ounces.

TL

what if you have to pee?

I took like 8 actuarial exams, 3-6 hours, I probably peed during all of them. My advice in general for exams is to read through before you start (should take about 15 seconds for the BJCP exam because you know all the possible questions beforehand and will recognize what they are quickly) and answer the questions in order of how easy they are for you. The trick here is time management. Don't write for an hour on water because you know a lot about it. Figure out the number of points on the exam and the number of minutes and then have the discipline to divide your time evenly. Have a watch and before you start answering a question, write the time that you need to stop at the top of the sheet. Now the harder questions are in your mind for the whole exam and hopefully you remember some stuff accidentally. If you have to go pee, spend that time thinking about how you are going to answer one of the remaining questions and then when you get back bang it out. I would also try to pee after filling out a score sheet so you are reasonably sure a beer won't be set down while you are gone.

Or stop being a baby and hold it.

Wow j you got me stressed out and I still have a few weeks. Good I'm working on the tasting part tonight. Let us know your impressions once you recover from 3 hrs of writing about beer.

Back--my right hand is able to type again. Took the day off to rest it, hahaha. All I can say is, really, it depends what you want to get out of it. For me, it was mostly about seeing if the brain functions anymore in a studying capacity after about 20 years of 'not having to study for anything'. Answer: it doesn't.

I think I may have passed (with a 60) IF I had completed the exam. I did not. Poor time management bit me and I had unanswered questions. Cardinal sin.

Also, I had another issue with the exam but won't get into it here because it is more local than anything.

I will tell you: know your styles. Other guys were making flash cards of styles with commercial examples and stats (you know, once you 'get to know' / memorize all the INFORMATION) these were for bonus points.

If you've done any online homework at all / seen any other study guides I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying there is a RECIPE question on the exam. It is up 'quite early' in the exam (of course nobody says you have to answer in order--I didn't.). Use that opportunity (after reading the whole exam first, so as not to repeat yourself if other technical questions refer to certain things) to explain everything you know about the process.

BUT----time management is your FRIEND and ALLY. I didn't use my watch properly and paid for it. But that's fine, I'll just re-write as soon as I can. Like a driver's exam--take it a couple times if you need to (or five if you're like a friend of mine....).

Writing for three hours was the worst part. Physically. The most I've handwritten anything in the past 18 years is pretty much addressing envelopes and signing things. And I now have the 'beer blister' to prove it. Get your hand in shape if you're not used to writing. But don't do what I did and try to write as many answers as you can in the week leading up, leaving you with a blister you have to wrap so it doesn't aggravate DURING the exam. Heh. :p

Know as much of the technical information as you can, and those pesky 73 styles. Because they COULD come up in any order... Compare this and that and this. And beware the actual tastings / judging sheets. They come around and definitely mess with your 'thought / flow' on what you were just answering.

I've heard guys say to give 10-12 minutes per question. I did not and paid the price. Having to hurt my hand again at the next opportunity. But I definitely want to write when it is still fresh, again, so I don't have to go through this again for a long time if I ever get the gumption to get something higher-marked.

That said, see you all at the National level.

A guy I wrote with does not have a local brewing club or anyone he could really work with, he just read the materials and took his knowledge as best he could---without the weekly samplings we were doing (which helps a lot---using sense memory for certain styles is great, especially if you're an IPA lover and happen to get one on your exam to judge---of course they're all random so that's just an example).

Read the 'instruction sheet' before you begin. When it says "don't be verbose"--they mean it. Give the answers you need to get the marks and move on. GET THROUGH THE EXAM. If you really feel you need to go back and make additions, fine. But get through the exam. When the beers come out to judge--it messes with your plans, that's for sure. Take a watch and use it.

And I made it through without peeing---I was proud of myself. Others did not. But they also made a stretch break out of it. I did not.

And remember, it's only homebrew. So relax.
;)
after you write, of course.

It's a hobby--take it as seriously as you take the hobby in general and that will get you through. I was definitely stressing because I've never failed an exam before, personally, and didn't want this to be my first but it very very likely is and I'm cool with that. I took the class for the experience and knowledge--I had no ideals of even writing to begin with--and am way farther ahead than when I started and it is a great stepping stone for further knowledge to add on to it.

Now off to bed to dream about things like preoteolytic enzymes, Calcium, and Rauchbiers.

(again, all randomly-mentioned examples and not in any way saying what was on my exam)

Good luck, folks!
J

Back