BJCP Exam Tips - LONG post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would study on my hour lunch break for about 4 months. I mostly wrote out all the answers to the possible questions in the study guide and then rewrote them. Training for the test type is important and putting your content into that format is helpful.

I haven't used it but if you aren't signed up for an exam now, chances are you aren't taking the essay exam under the current paradigm and so you need to worry about getting an 80+ on the tasting exam before you take the essay exam.

I personally don't care for the BJCP. I think they focus on very strict style guidelines. If a particular beer deviates just a small amount the judges tend to dismiss the beer as a stylistically flawed beer.

I also don't like that the the BJCP program lumps every non conventional category into the "other" "gruit" category.

I brew for creativity. BJCP doesn't work well for those who want to be a little more abstract. I think the BJCP program is just more red tape...To heck with them. I can judge beer for myself...

The BJCP guidelines are only a way to categorize and catalog the world's beer styles, not rules to follow. I think they help people learn and dial in the very critical aspects of brewing. I think of them as sort of "lessons" to follow. I think it's good to be skilled enough to brew the same beer twice, even if it doesn't fit any guideline. Many times, I brew with no regard to a style, but more often than not, it matches a style. When submitting for judging (if it's even important), sometimes it helps to enter beers into different categories.

SDBrewer said:
Has anyone used this website for exam prep? I heard about it on Brew Strong. Better Beer Scores | Beer Judge Education
It looks really good, but is it worth the $250?

I'm startling this course tomorrow (along with a few buddies that are taking it on different nights). I heard the interview with the founders on the Sunday Session and it sounds like fun. I'll try to provide an update later.

Cheers

I'm startling this course tomorrow (along with a few buddies that are taking it on different nights). I heard the interview with the founders on the Sunday Session and it sounds like fun. I'll try to provide an update later.

Cheers

Let me know how it turned out for you.

I am taking the exam in one week. The biggest issue for me so far has been time management. It is actually extremely difficult to convey the vast amount of information necessary to do well on the exam, in the amount of time allotted. Knowing the material is one thing, but getting it down on paper in 3 hours is another. I have been practicing over and over, looking for ways to streamline the amount I have to write, and I am still running over trying to answer the style questions in under 12 minutes.

My first practice exam a few weeks ago, I wrote 2 pages for the "similar styles" question and ended up having to rush through the rest, and even left one question almost completely unanswered. I have definitely improved since then, but I can still see myself running out of time VERY easily.

The BJCP guidelines are only a way to categorize and catalog the world's beer styles

That's not true. They define categories for home brew competitions. It's not the same thing. There are plenty of world beer styles - a dozen or so Czech ones come to mind - that are ignored by the BJCP.

I am still running over trying to answer the style questions in under 12 minutes.

I would suggest trying to answer some of the questions faster than this. For example, the troubleshooting and "3 aspects" questions can probably be answered fully in less time. That will give you more time for the "3 styles" questions. Are you using a grid? That might help you get more on the paper faster. Another tip: look at how the points are broken down in the "3 styles" questions. Answer the highest point parts first and if you are running out of time, spend less time on "describe the similarities/difference" part as that is only worth 1 point and takes some work to get on the paper.

Yeah, I already figured the sim/diff can suck it, if I'm running out of time.

And I have been using the grid for those questions, as whenever I try to write it out I end up writing a lot extra and taking way too much time. Even with the grid, I am usually at about 12 minutes when I get to the sim/diff section. OR, I have written a complete answer for one or two of the styles, and not much of the third.

I am currently taking a prep class through my homebrew club and apparently the written portion has been done away with. There is a test you take online as pass/fail and then you can sit for your tasting. I believe my brew club president said we are one of the first classes testing in this method.

I am currently taking a prep class through my homebrew club and apparently the written portion has been done away with. There is a test you take online as pass/fail and then you can sit for your tasting. I believe my brew club president said we are one of the first classes testing in this method.

Yes it looks like the first tests given in this format will be April 2012. This new test will only allow you to achieve the rank of Certified, though, regardless of how well you do. Higher ranks will still require you to take the written test.

Yes it looks like the first tests given in this format will be April 2012. This new test will only allow you to achieve the rank of Certified, though, regardless of how well you do. Higher ranks will still require you to take the written test.

Right, it's now a 3 part test. Part one is online and you have to pass that to go to part two the tasting test. After that there is the written test which you have to pass the first two and have accumulated 10 judging points.

I think they are doing this for a few reasons. There are a lot of people taking the test that just are not ready and they fail. This is a huge waste of time for the people taking it and even more fore the people grading it. It also is making it 6 months or more for people to find out how they did.

It will also allow for people to study over a longer time and do it in stages.

While I generally try not to revive old threads, this is a good one and I thought it would be good to post some new official information as well as my experience thus far. From the BJCP site:

The BJCP Board has unanimously approved the recommendation of the Exam Directors to implement a new beer exam program, effective April 1, 2012. No legacy exams will be given on or after this date. Please read the details carefully, as much has changed. Note: the mead exam remains unchanged.

BJCP exam and competition materials have been updated to reflect the new exam. Please download new copies if you are using old ones. The study guide has been updated, but the exams cover the same general topics as before.

Prospective judges must first pass the BJCP Beer Judge Entrance Exam, a new online exam with 200 True-False and Multiple Choice questions that must be answered in one hour. Passing this exam allows judges to sign up for the new BJCP Beer Judging Examination, a practical tasting exam with 6 exam beers judged in 90 minutes. The score on this exam will allow a judge to be ranked as Apprentice, Recognized, or Certified.

National judges and any judges who score 80 or higher on any tasting exam and have 10 judging experience points may register for the BJCP Beer Judge Written Proficiency Exam, which allows judges to advance to National and higher ranks. This new written exam will have 20 true-false questions and five essay questions that must be answered in 90 minutes. The new exams will be weighted 50/50 in determining an overall score for rank purposes.

New rules exist for current judges, so check the implementation guide carefully. Note that no current judges will have their ranks adjusted automatically, although current Apprentice judges have two years to become Recognized judges or have their judging status revoked.

Quotas on exams remain in effect until the current exam backlog is cleared. The Exam Directors will then reassess the quota system and make necessary adjustments.

I took the online test (and passed) and let me tell you --it was no joke. Though you have access to the guidelines, you're answering 200 questions in 60 minutes so the only thing you really have time for is to confirm things you already know.

I'm taking my test at the end of September. There will be 6 beers in 90 minutes brought out at 15 minute intervals. You may receive beers from categories 1-19. There will be no 16E or category 17 beers. Also, it's likely you'll be given a variety of beers, not a bunch of beers from the same category. We were told to expect, for example, a lager, a hoppy beer, a malty beer, a dark beer, etc. Obviously, the purpose of the exam is to test your ability to judge a wide variety of categories and really be able to identify many different flavors and aromas.

One big resource we were given is the checklist scoresheet: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/Beer_checklist.pdf. This obviously isn't the scoresheet you'll use for the exam but it does give a variety of descriptor words for each category you should be comfortable using. Another tip we were given is to use these descriptor words along with an intensity level. So, don't just say, "This beer is roasty." Instead say, "This beer is has chocolatey and dark fruit notes with a high level of roastiness." Or, perhaps in the case of an unusual American IPA, "While hoppy, this beer has a higher level of earthy hop character and a low level of citrusy hop character common in the American style."

I hope this helps. Those of you who have already begun testing in the new format, please post your experiences.

You are very fortunate you're getting a seat for the tasting exam. Here in Raleigh, the 2012 exam was booked months ago and nearby exams in Charlotte and Winston-Salem are also booked through 2012 and 2013. I'm probably going to have to retake the online exam so I can get a seat in 2014.....It seems to me that there is a serious need for more tests and/or seats in these exams. I'm willing to drive 3+ hours to sit for the exam but the demand, at least in my area, is too high.

I have no foreseeable plans in the near future to do the exam, but does anyone know of a way I'd go about doing the tasting portion as a vegan? Obviously (to me anyways) I don't drink beers that contain honey, lactose, oysters, etc. Also, I don't drink beers that are fined/filtered using things like isinglass, gelatin, etc. Has anyone else encountered this situation?

You are very fortunate you're getting a seat for the tasting exam. Here in Raleigh, the 2012 exam was booked months ago and nearby exams in Charlotte and Winston-Salem are also booked through 2012 and 2013. I'm probably going to have to retake the online exam so I can get a seat in 2014.....It seems to me that there is a serious need for more tests and/or seats in these exams. I'm willing to drive 3+ hours to sit for the exam but the demand, at least in my area, is too high.

You're right. I think once they get all the wrinkles ironed out, they'll likely require you pass the online exam before you even sign up for a tasting exam. At this point it's more of a 'hurry up and do the online exam before this' situation. With the difficulty of the online exam, this should cut down A LOT on tasting exam registrants.

afr0byte said:
I have no foreseeable plans in the near future to do the exam, but does anyone know of way I'd go about doing the tasting portion as a vegan? Obviously (to me anyways) I don't drink beers that contain honey, lactose, oysters, etc. Also, I don't drink beers that are fined/filtered using things like isinglass, gelatin, etc. Has anyone else encountered this situation?

That's a really interesting question. PM me and I'll give you contact information for some folks I know at the BJCP offices. This probably isn't the first time they've been asked this question but I've never heard any conversation about it.

You're right. I think once they get all the wrinkles ironed out, they'll likely require you pass the online exam before you even sign up for a tasting exam. At this point it's more of a 'hurry up and do the online exam before this' situation. With the difficulty of the online exam, this should cut down A LOT on tasting exam registrants.

Yep, I think that would go a long way to opening up seats at the tasting exams. It is very frustrating to study for and pass the online exam only to be locked out of the tasting exam because they book up six months to a year in advance of the test date. Either they need to increase the frequency of the exams or increase the seats.

I've been studying for the online test for a little while now and I have run into the same issue: no space available to sit for the tasting exam in the forseeable (a year or more) future.

The fact that they only give you a year to take the tasting exam after passing the online portion seems a bit like rigidness for rigidness sake and, dare I say it, like a money grab. The online portion is a great idea because it cuts down on the amount off ill-prepared candidates by way of a simple and, most importantly, non time consuming mechanism, but you'd think they would try to make it as friendly as possible for the people who do pass to attempt to get their rank via the tasting portion. Give the candidate 2 or 3 years to get a seat in the tasting exam.

Yeah, those money-grabbing volunteers, spending hours of their own time to grade exams.

Did you read my post at all ? I find the idea of an online test very good since it puts a barrier up that cuts down on the number of unprepared candidates showing up at the exams and (most assuredly) failing. The BJCP has seen an explosion in the number of people wanting to take the exam and I'm sure the measure was put in place in order to have more qualified exam takers showing up to get certified and to cut on the load of graders. Having graded, both at the undergraduate and graduate level, I know how long it takes to go through a poorly written copy. Kudos to them maintaining their standards: a lesser organization could've decided to say "the hell with it" and lowered their standards to accomodate the growing number of people wanting to be become members.

What I take exception to is the fact that the test costs 10$ and you then have a single year to take the tasting part. If you live outside major centers, then it's just too bad. I get that they are anal retentive about their grading and they take their time, but why only give the candidate a single year to get to the tasting part when the exam schedule is crammed to all hell until almost the end of 2013 ?

What I take exception to is the fact that the test costs 10$ and you then have a single year to take the tasting part. If you live outside major centers, then it's just too bad. I get that they are anal retentive about their grading and they take their time, but why only give the candidate a single year to get to the tasting part when the exam schedule is crammed to all hell until almost the end of 2013 ?

Then don't take the online exam until later. It is not difficult to find the exam schedules and availability online before you take the written part. I guess I don't understand what your point is. The BJCP exams have been in greater and greater demand over the past several years. They do what they can, but there is a finite limit to how many exams can be graded accurately and fairly in a given amount of time. The switch to the online exam has actually increased the throughput on the BJCP exam process (hence the reason for adopting it), so I don't really see the reason for complaints. Sure, it is not perfect, but we are talking about a small number of volunteers that have to handle a really huge number of exams. It is most definitely NOT a money grab, which is how you initially characterized it.

Back