Bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterBomz

Reaction score
Bout to start my first batch. I have been reading about thw process, I bought the Homebrewing for Dummies (I'm no dummy!) I'm just hyper.I have paid close attention to the so-far read detail. Gonna aim for a simple IPA, as I bought one of those Brewer's Best IPA kits. Not too sure what to expect from something like this. I am looking to get a taste like a Sierra Nevada pale ale, but more bitter. Maybe a Double IPA. My LHBS owner told me to just use exactly what the kit has, and it should come out okay. But I want more.. I have ADHD! The kit comes with a couple ounces of Cascade pellets, both for bittering and finishing. I have 1 lb of WC (whole cone) Summit, 1 lb of WC Columbus, 1 oz of WC Magnum, 6 extra ounces of pelletized willamette, and 4 extra ounces of pelletized cascade hops. should I use any summit? magnum? or any extras? During what part of the brew?

BitterBomz said:
Bout to start my first batch. I have been reading about thw process, I bought the Homebrewing for Dummies (I'm no dummy!) I'm just hyper.I have paid close attention to the so-far read detail. Gonna aim for a simple IPA, as I bought one of those Brewer's Best IPA kits. Not too sure what to expect from something like this. I am looking to get a taste like a Sierra Nevada pale ale, but more bitter. Maybe a Double IPA. My LHBS owner told me to just use exactly what the kit has, and it should come out okay. But I want more.. I have ADHD! The kit comes with a couple ounces of Cascade pellets, both for bittering and finishing. I have 1 lb of WC (whole cone) Summit, 1 lb of WC Columbus, 1 oz of WC Magnum, 6 extra ounces of pelletized willamette, and 4 extra ounces of pelletized cascade hops. should I use any summit? magnum? or any extras? During what part of the brew?

The ounce of magnum at 60 min for straight bitterness ala SN Torpedo extra IPA, save cascades for late flavor adds...i just did the torpedo clone the other day, 1oz magnum at 60, 1oz magnum 1oz cascade at 5, dry hop citra

unionrdr said:
I start the flavor hop additions at 20 minutes. 5 minutes will get a little aroma,but that's about it.

Good point, thanks for the correction. I posted the clone schedule as I found it, but generally do this.

Sorry.. the kit also comes with 2 oz of columbus pellets. Ill try the Magnum idea.. but no Summit? its it too powerful? I have a whole pound of it!

what is the kit recipe? I assume it's got the columbus for bittering and then maybe also some later addition?

what is the kit recipe? I assume it's got the columbus for bittering and then maybe also some later addition?

6.6lbs canned light LME
1lb Golden DME
1lb Caramel 40L
8oz Victory

1.5oz Columbus pellets (bittering)
2oz Cascade pellets (bittering)
1oz Cascade (aroma)

11g Nottingham yeast

What are the actual times of the additions? 1.5 0s oz of columbus at 60 min by itself is going to get in you the neighborhood of 80 IBU's.

Yeah, I'd spread that cascade out for some late additions. Skip the 30, move it to 20, then throw in the rest between 10 and 0, leaving at least 1 for 0 min

Edit: oops I confused two posts, but I'd still go with more late additions vs all those bittering ones

The ounce of magnum at 60 min for straight bitterness ala SN Torpedo extra IPA, save cascades for late flavor adds...i just did the torpedo clone the other day, 1oz magnum at 60, 1oz magnum 1oz cascade at 5, dry hop citra

Nice answer. Dry hop with Cascade in your case.

Edit:

I get the vibe that you're wanting be more aggressive with your hops. But it's your first brew. I did that and regretted it. Take the advice you see here, and don't fudge the amount or the duration of the additions. You have lots of hops. Keep em in the freezer and you'll have lots of brews to do with them. Everybody wants a homerun on their first batch. Those who aim for "drinkable" usually find themselves pleasantly surprised. Follow the directions in your kit (other then hop additions). GL!

Looks like folks are giving you lots of ideas. Bitter with your columbus, or switch to magnum if you want. Use the cascade for the 20 to zero additions plus dry hop. A little columbus would be fine later too.
I still don't see that you posted the actual hop schedule for your kit - I find it hard to believe they have 1.5 oz columbus and 2 oz cascade all for bittering. Do you have the times? It may be fine as is.

Back