Bittering hop for aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipopiad

Reaction score
My roommate and I are brewing a Pumpkin Red ale tonight and I just realized that I was an idiot and got a packet of Australian Galaxy (A: 14%, B: 5.9%) as an aroma hop when the recipe calls for Santiam or Tettnanger (A:4%-8.4%, B: 3%-8.4%). Will this make the beer way more hoppy than I was hoping for, or is it OK? The aroma hops are supposed to be added in the last minute of the boil, so I'm hoping it won't add too much bitterness.

For reference, the recipe is the No Sham Shamrock Irish Red Ale recipe from the Joy of Homebrewing book. The recipe calls for 1 oz. of Northern Brewer (A:10.6%, B:4.6%) for bittering, so maybe switch the hop schedule? That is, use the Australian Galaxy for bittering and the Northern Brewer for aroma?

And unfortunately I don't have any of my last batch left so I can't RDWHAHB, haha

If you are adding the hops at the 1 minute mark you will be getting virtually no bitterness. Assuming that you will cool the wort down rapidly.The aroma might not be what you were expecting though. You could flip flop the hops. I think NB would be a better aroma hop for an Irish Red. I have only had Galaxy in IPA's and it's a great hop but probably not for an Irish Red.

The one thing is that Santiam and Tettnanger are very neutral hops that won't compete with the pumpkin spices and malt sweetness of the red ale.

Galaxy will have a peachy/passionfruit aroma that will compete with the pumpkin spices.

Northern Brewer is minty/fruity as an aroma hop. Again, doesn't sound complimentary to pumpkin spices to me.

Stick with the low AA noble hop Tettnanger if you really want the pumpkin spices to shine through. Santium is really close to Tettnanger that's just grown in Oregon instead of Germany so it's slightly different.

Back