Bitter going into Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willem176

Reaction score
Howdy,
I'm working my first all grain brew. I was going for a very hoppy profile but I think I went too far. When I transferred the beer from primary (about 2 weeks into the ferment) into the secondary, I poured myself a little sip. The overall flavor was as expect, but the bitter taste was a little overwhelming. I'm guessing it's too late to adjust the flavor, but wanted to double check. :tank:

Yes it's too late. Bitterness subsides over time, but pale ales/IPAs are meant to be drank fresh....so...either wait it out or drink it as is. Lesson learned.

Tough to tell what the finished beer will taste like unless you've brewed this recipe (or others similar to it) before. Finished, carbonated, chilled beers taste very different than one straight from primary. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

With time, you'll get better at predicting from earlier tastes, but sometimes it's still very surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yea. What Doc said. A very cold and carbonated beer tastes different than a hot and carbonated beer. Also, letting it sit for a bit will make a difference. I think I heard that 6 months decreases the bitterness by half and the aroma by 75% or something. If you find it too bitter, let it sit a while.

Latest posts

Back