Bitter Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20grit

Reaction score
So, I'm planning on running a bitter. The numbers check out according to an online calculator. Haven't plugged it into my beersmith. I just wanted to make sure it seemed like a good fit. I've not actually cobbled my own recipes from scratch before.

Mash at 150-152°.
8.5 lbs Maris Otter
10.4 oz UK Crystal 45°
5.6 oz UK Crystal 90°
1.5 oz UK fuggles @60 mins
.5 oz UK fuggles @30 mins

Wyeast London ESB

Does it sound in line?

Looks pretty good. You kept it simple, which is good. What do your numbers look like for this? (predicted OG, FG, IBUs) I have a feeling with my system it might come out a little bigger than a typical standard bitter.

The only thing I might add to the recipe is just a little bit of brown malt. But that's just because I've been putting a little of that in just about everything I've been making lately.

According to Brewersfriend (have been on vacation, still no input into beersmith).
At 70% efficiency
OG: 1.045
FG: 1.014
ABV 4.11%
34.05 IBU
SRM: 10.35

I'm running new equipment, so I have no idea what to expect for efficiency. Ran at 70% to be on the safe side. It could come in a good bit bigger.

Just an update. Brewed on new equipment with a new mill. So, I undershot my OG a bit. Came in at 1.042. Tasted a sample before I pitched and it wasn't my favorite thing ever. Will have to see how things go with the yeast. It was pitched Sunday. I guess I'll know soon enough.

A premature tasting says the malt is on the right track. The hops were a bit one note. Which is to be expected out of one hop.

I think the next go around will see some Challenger and/or EKG thrown in the mix.

But this has only been in bottle for 10 days. So, it could come around a bit... it's not bad, just not exciting.

Back