% Biscuit Malt in a Fat Tire?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benko

Reaction score
Don't worry, this isn't another "how do I brew a fat tire clone" post. However, I am interested in replicating the pronounced biscuit flavor profile that it has. All of the clone recipes out there, and the general biscuit malt guidelines, have something in the neighborhood of 5-10% biscuit malt. However, I've read in a few different places that people who have spoken with Peter Bouckaert of New Belgium (and this is obviously second-hand) say that he laughs about how far they push the biscuit addition (somewhere around 30%). Anybody ever hear something similar? I know it goes against all the conventional wisdom, but who knows.

Yeah. All the ones that I've seen have something similar. I'm not really that worried about the clone recipes. I really wanted to see if anyone else had heard of Bouckaert talking of using large percentages (30+) of biscuit in a recipe and it turning out okay.

Back