Biological Spill...!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malweth

Reaction score
I started a Hefeweizen Saturday night using DME and frozen WLP300... Came out to 6 gallons to meet my desired 1.048.

I woke up this (Monday) morning to a biological spill (Sunday it was foaming a bit). I put the lid back on w/o the o-ring and the krausen has settled a lot, so I think I'll be fine.

Man is spill clean-up a pain in the ass! It wasn't even that bad (one major section of wall), but I still needed a scrub brush and lots of elbow grease to get most of it up. It would have been easier if I dared scrub with OxyClean on the walls...

I think I'll be moving to a carboy w/ blow-off!! And possibly putting it in the shower (I ferment in our mostly unused basement bathroom).

The blow off tube is the answer. You can also use a Rubbermaid bin to put your fermenters in. I only ever use an airlock with beer if I secondary and the ONLY time I secondary is to add fruit or some other ingredient like coffee or to dry hop.

GL

Back