Big nylon mash bag to replace hop spider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
I’ve used a 15’’x 18’’ nylon bag hop spider till now. I was looking around on how to improve the contact area without dropping hops directly into the wort.
There is a lot of fanzy and expensive stuff out there, but what’s about a big bag?

I can get a very large bag for a few $$ which is as big as my kettle. Attached to the edges of the kettle with out any spider. Anybody doing this? Any comments?

Thanks guys!

Id go for the bag, as long as you keep it off the bottom of the kettle it works great

Id go for the bag, as long as you keep it off the bottom of the kettle it works great

This^ I use the 5 gal nylon paint strainer bag from HD. From experience I can tell you that keeping it off the bottom is essential. It wouldn't surprise me if they are more susceptible to scorching than muslin. Fortunately, I had two on hand since I let the first one make contact with the bottom of the kettle for just a few seconds and it melted a 4 inch hole in it. What a mess!

Thanks! Oh, I did not think that nylon will melt. :mad:

I boil my chiller for the last 15 mins and it will put the bag to the ground. :(
So here goes the great idea....

Thanks! Oh, I did not think that nylon will melt. :mad:

I boil my chiller for the last 15 mins and it will put the bag to the ground. :(
So here goes the great idea....

I would consider putting the chiller in at flameout instead. Either way, you might have success lifting the hop bag, put chiller in, put hop bag back down.

edit: hell, my comprehension wasn't the best here. If you have a big enough bag this probably isn't a good option.

There's at least one thread on here of a guy making custom hop baskets for your kettle to a given micron spec. That's what I was going to do if I went with anything different than my large BSG nylon hop bag (that might be similar to yours)...but I've really found no problems with the large bag over time.

send an email to @wilserbrewer

he makes custom bags sized to your kettle that are a bit finer mesh than the paint strainer bags I used to use. You can also get a pull-cord to go around the lip of your kettle. Then you dont need to worry about the possibility of it touching the bottom

I used a paint strainer bag clamped to a hop spider until one day, I just took the bag off, clipped it to the kettle rim with a binder clip, and realized that it works even better. Easiest thing ever - nothing fancy, just works, adjust it for any depth needed, etc.

Back