Big Mouth Bubblers - are they fixed yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw a post in the beginners section regarding Norther Brewers and Midwest Brewers new fermenter, the Big Mouth Bubbler. A bit of research shows that the lids of these are not fitting properly and may actually be putting too much pressure on the glass ones and causing breakage.

Looking at picking up one or two of the plastic ones, since I can't see my yeast in action with white buckets. Wondering if the plastic ones are a usable product?

I have a plastic Big Mouth and 2 plastic 6.5 gallon buckets. When I only have 1 beer in primary, I always use the Bubbler so I can see the yeast do its thing. It works fine.

I have original glass ones and the new glass ones. Original glass ones, the glass was super scary thin but the tops sealed great. newer glass ones, thicker glass but the tops almost never seal. That hasn't caused me any problems. I also have some of the new tops. They are to say the least dumb. Worst fix ever. I have read that the tops for the plastic ones do not seal either. You can find a thread on here about how to fix that. The big mouth does make it convenient and I would probably buy one again but I would want the old screw on top.

I am marginally happy with my plastic big mouth. I still have to fiddle with the lid but it will seal.
The bottom is not perfectly flat.
I got a carboy.net cover for it and moving it around is much simpler.
I have no plans to buy another.

(the carboy covers and my Jaded immersion chiller are the best brewing investments I've made)

I like my 5G plastic MBM just fine. I mostly use it for small batch primary.

I'd like a larger one for 5 gallon batches, but honestly, I'd really rather just spend a bit more and get a 7 gallon SS bucket, like the ones from Chapman. Much more durable and easier to clean and can be sterilized in the oven if necessary.

One possible option to keep in mind is something like a Vintage Shop plastic carboy. The 6gal ones I use have a wider neck than a normal carboy, take a little larger of a rubber stopper. I know some people want to be able to get in there re: cleaning, so that might be a turnoff (I use PBW), but figured I'd mention it re: a clear, non-glass FV.

I have two of the plastic ones, a 6.5 and a 5 gallon. No issues with them at all. They have the screw on caps, and they seem to seal decently.

I have 2 6.5 gal plastic BMBs and they are awesome. No issues with the lid sealing for me.

I have 2 as brew buckets and 3- 5 gallon BMB. While I prefer the SS, the bubblers work pretty good. I got the ported ones with the spigot and the new rubber gasket lid from Midwest Supplies. Just pop that on under the lid it comes with and it seals pretty good. Did a leak test with the "new" lid and it held water no problem.

I have two plastic 6.5 gallon big mouth bubblers. One has a spigot the other does not. They both work very well and haven't posed any issues at all. Highly recommend them!

I have an original BMB and that thing is junk. I switched to Speidels and have been happy. For the price the Speidels are worth the money.

I have two 6.5(?) gallon BMB's (plastic) and a Speidel. I have had no issues with either one. I use the Speidel more just because it is large enough to not need a blowoff tube and the handles are strong and more convenient for me than a carrying strap.

Either one is pretty good in my book.

Never got a good seal on my plastic BMB. I recently purchased a Fermonster (made by The Vintage Shop). It is a plastic fermentor similar to the BMB with a rubber o-ring to help the lid seal. Love it.

Back