Big Mouth Bubbler Stopper Alternative

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
One of the comments I saw a lot about the BMB was about issues with the #5.5 stopper coming off while fermenting. People were using duct tape or wire to keep it in place.

Before I even realized it came with a stopper I had thought that a standard small universal bung would work just fine. And with a small alteration it did.

The first image shows the standard #5.5 stopper pressed into the opening.

After that you can see the alteration I made the the universal bung, I cut off about 1/4 of an inch from the wide end.

Then you can see it will tightly screw onto the threads in the plastic lid.

I did a simple test and was able to pop the #5.5 stopper out with my thumb by applying a bit of force, but was not able to pop out the modified carboy bung.

Just thought I would share my "upgrade"

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Very nice reuse. My big mouth is en route and I have two of those universals in a drawer. May just have to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The first time I used my BMB I just used the universal as-is and it fits on there pretty good. But then I noticed there was more clearance, and the threading would be tighter if I trimmed it down and it really work well.

Back