Big mouth bubbler semi-review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewcrew02

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So just got my 6.5 gallon BMB. On first sight, it's as glorious as I imagined. Immediately stuck my arm in to touch the bottom. My heart went a flutter. Needless to say I think we've all read about the pros and potential cons. I'm posting this to show my resolve to the whole blow off conundrum. Saw that a bung and airlock with hose works but I hate that method and have had too many clog even with breaking the bottom tabs. I always used a PVC blow off attaching by means of a small bit of 1" ID vinyl tubing. Well that was a little too small. Turns out that tubing will fit inside the next size up at HD! So a piece of 1" ID inside a piece of 1 1/4" ID works perfect! Also for those of us that have a million universal bungs for our glass carboys... They don't fit the BMB lid... Or do they?! Turn that bad boy upside down and it fits around the screw off top! Brilliant!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392954352.137687.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392954385.615439.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392954412.652683.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Unfortunately, the designers never considered racking out of that jug with a CO2 push. I wonder if you can get solid lids?

Cheers!

That's a pretty sweet little mod there. I might have to use a similar technique on my better bottles.

I guarantee you could push with CO2 if you were gentle. 3/8" hole in the top to run a stainless racking cane etc and boom. I'd do it right now just to show it can be done... But I still siphon :'(

I was thinking about getting one (or two) for kombucha. the opening still looks a bit small to get a SCoBY out. maybe I'll get a bucket for big batches.

I really like the idea of using PVC. It seems like it would reduce the risk of a knocked over blowoff collection jug or a crimped blowoff tube, and would be easier to clean. Both you and cmoewes have found some good modifications for this. Has anyone found a lid replacement? Probably the only thing holding me back is that I'm worried about losing or breaking a lid. Can either of you answer a few of these questions?

- Is there a gasket on the lid?
- Is 5 gallons to the top line, or all the way to the neck?
- Do you have a size comparison to a carboy?

There's a gasket that's food grade foam type. NB sells replacements, but I might make or find my own silicon one.

Haven't measured exactly where 5 gallons lands, but it close to the level of beer in my pic. Def not to the neck.

It's shorter and wider than a 5 gal carboy. 17 5/8" tall and 12 3/8" wide. Standard 6.5 gal carboys are 20 3/4" tall and 12 1/2" wide.

Back