Big Mouth Bubbler mold issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_c_zero

Reaction score
So I have been brewing now for about four years and have always used a glass carboy. Just recently I purchased the 6.5 gal Big Mouth Bubbler plastic version. I also purchased the haul strap for it. I got around to using it about two weeks ago. I opened up my fermentation fridge today to see that about 20% or more of the surface of the fermentation vessel is covered in white mold. The beer within looks fine but the outside is riddled with mold. I did not clean the strap but did a pretty good job of cleaning and sanitizing the vessel before using it. I had the strap on the fermenter as I was pouring in the wort and did splash a small amount on the outside and strap itself. Just wondering if anyone has ever had this problem before? Fermentation temp has been 68 degrees.

I don't know if it has much to do with glass or plastic, I could be wrong. You got wort on something and it grew mold. That has happened to me as well. I would clean the hauler well with soap and warm water and let it dry.

Most anything that is moist and has some kind of "food" on it will grow mold at the right temps.

I have problems in the summer in my ferm chamber because it's not entirely sealed up and moisture forms. I get all kinds of mold if I do an extended ferment. if you catch it early it will wipe off easily. Let it sit for a while and it can stain.

Clean and sanitize the ferm chamber and fermentor best you can and it will probably not be a recurring problem.

Back