Big Mouth Bubbler - Blistering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Has anyone else had this problem?

My plastic Big Mouth Bubbler has developed a number of bubbles/blisters on the inside walls. It seems the plastic is de-laminating. The blisters are oval shaped, about a quarter inch wide and a third inch long. I probably have about 20 of them of varying sizes.

I've had the BMB for about 3 years. I first noticed the blisters over a year ago and have continued to use it. But now I am getting concerned that if any get punctured, they could harbor contamination that will be almost impossible to get rid of.

The outside wall is still hard and flat, but inside, they bulge inwards, and feel very thin plastic covering. Inspecting them closely yesterday, most are clear, but one seems a little cloudy (this one concerns me). I did rack a beer into it, which I hope is OK. I think I'll be tossing the BMB after this brew .... I'll be worrying about possible contamination every time I use it - not worth it.

What to replace it with? I'm not going to get another BMB. It has been fine, but only 3 years use, is not good enough.

Anyone any experience with the Fermonster from MoreBeer ($29.99 with free shipping), or the Wide-Mouth Carboy from RiteBrew ($24.99 - regular shipping).

Did you ever funnel too-hot liquid (>140°F) into the plastic BmB? I could see that causing a delamination.

I've got a plastic 6.5gal BmB I've been using for ~2 years. No full-on delamination as far as I can tell, but it is starting to get a little cloudy in spots. I'm planning to replace with the 7gal Fermonster.

The Fermonster is (according to specs) about 0.5" wider in diameter than the 6.5gal BmB, but about the same height, just a heads up in case your temp control chamber is kinda tight.

(BTW, 3 years' use for a fermenter around $30 is not bad, IMO... though I guess it depends how many batches you've done in it, mine's seen at least 40)

Have you done long soaks with sanitizers or cleaners. I've found that Star San solution will begin degrading some plastics with a long contact period.

Did you ever funnel too-hot liquid (>140°F) into the plastic BmB? I could see that causing a delamination.

I've got a plastic 6.5gal BmB I've been using for ~2 years. No full-on delamination as far as I can tell, but it is starting to get a little cloudy in spots. I'm planning to replace with the 7gal Fermonster.

The Fermonster is (according to specs) about 0.5" wider in diameter than the 6.5gal BmB, but about the same height, just a heads up in case your temp control chamber is kinda tight.

(BTW, 3 years' use for a fermenter around $30 is not bad, IMO... though I guess it depends how many batches you've done in it, mine's seen at least 40)

I just looked at my order history with NB, and it looks like I have only had the BMB for 2 years. I only use it for secondary, and not every batch goes into it, so it has probably seen only about 20 batches.

I don't think I have exposed it to hot liquids. Worst case would be something like 3 or 4 pints of hot liquid (sanitized fruit at ~160F) poured into 5+ gallons of beer that would have been at room temperature. So I don't think it is a hot liquid issue, but worth trying to avoid in the future (just in case).

How long should a fermenter last? Good question. Probably depends on your frame of reference. I bought 3 HPDE fermenters in the UK about 35 years ago. Two of them are still in use. I got the BMB to replace one of them that developed a small crack/leak at the center of the base a couple of years ago. These have each seen about 150 batches, probably more.

Have you done long soaks with sanitizers or cleaners. I've found that Star San solution will begin degrading some plastics with a long contact period.

I have been wondering if this is the issue. Whatever I get to replace it; I will probably change my sanitizing and storage process to minimize exposure time of the thin plastic fermenters.

Yes, I do leave sanitizers in my fermenters. Specifically mild bleach solution. I have done it for many years. My other fermenters are stored filled with mild bleach solution, and are doing well after many years of use. Rinse several times with a small amount of hot water and they are ready for use. These fermenters are much thicker than the BMB, and made from HDPE, whereas the BMB is PET. And of course my glass ones do not have an issue.

With the BMB I only put in 1 gallon of mild bleach solution, and lay it on it's side and maybe rotate it periodically over a couple of days. Then it is stored upright with the solution obviously at the bottom for a week or so. These blisters are on the side walls, and not on the bottom which has longer time exposure. However, the walls are thinner and probably stretched more in the manufacturing process.

My research says PET should not have an issue with bleach.

These blisters are sealed and have some 'air' behind them. There is no fluid in them. So, I don't really think it is the beach, but it is probably a good idea to minimize exposure.

Back