Big hops sale at Hops Direct—many varieties from $5/lb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just can't help myself. $0.52/oz, on average, with shipping included.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 12.41.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 12.41.02 PM.png
    256.7 KB · Views: 169
Nice choices

I grabbed their Wai-iti, Mandarina Bavaria, Pacifica, and Pacific Gem a month or 2 ago and it was like $40 to my front door I'm kicking myself for not grabbing the Cashmere and Magnum now

Vacuum sealed and frozen. They're fine. I'm still using 2016 hops with great results.

The Cascade pellets were 2018. Everything else didn't have a date. (Edit: They are all 2018)

I keep them in the freezer.

The only downside is that I will have to deal with leaf hops. They make a bit of a mess and are a little difficult when I weigh and put them in steeping bags. However, they also fill the house with that wonderful hop aroma.

My wife hates the smell of them.

Last edited:
I've bought from hops direct several times in the past. No complaints however I usually use Yakima these days as they seem to have the best selection or at least the specific ones I'm looking for. Cheers

I have purchased a lot of hops from Hops direct over the years. They have always been good except for the one time I bought some sale hops. These hops were not bad but they were also not as fresh. Slightly oxidized. I keep everything frozen and vacuum packed as well but time is time on the ingredients. One year maybe but we are past a year and a half from the 2017 harvest. I noticed the Cascades are only $2 more for the 2018 crop.

The trick I've found is buying minimum 10 pounds at a time that way the shipping isn't really relevant and I only have to make 2-3 orders a year. Cheers

This is just a heads up. I'm not complaining because I knew the risk of buying hops advertised with an alpha range instead of a hard number.

The Hersbrucker have an alpha of 1.5%, Saaz are closer to normal at 2.4%, Cascade are 4.6%.

I can work with all of them and considering the price they are still a bargain but there is a reason besides being from 2018 they are $5 a pound.

Edit to add: I just bagged the 1.5% Hersbrucker into steeping bags. The one pound bag contained 25 ounces. It looks like the 2.4% CZ Saaz is also overweight. The bargains just keep coming.

Last edited:
Are you homebrewing? :) 30 pounds of hops in a year? It takes me a year to go through a pound or two!
I brew 18g batches *EVERY* other Sunday.i have several friends that have kegerators so they generally pay for the ingredients and I do the labour and keep a keg for myself. Most batches use a minimum of 1lb so it's not really that much. Additionally the hops I'm using aren't always available so I like to stock up when possible. Galaxy is a good example of that. I buy enough to last me a year at once so I don't have to search for it. Cheers

$38 for 4 lbs of hops shipped = $1.60/oz.
NZ Wakatu -- 2017
FUGGLES US -- Leaf1 ARIANA -- Leaf1 AMARILLO® VGXP01 c.v.-- Leaf

Fuggles are $2 at HBS but Amarillo are $3.50 oz.
wakatu and Ariana are hops i've never used and can't get locally but they look interesting so why not?

I brew 10 gallon batches and trying to brew every weekend to fill my kegs for summer.

Love HopsDirect. For some reason the Equinox/Ekuanot I've gotten from them has a unique character that I haven't been able to get elsewhere.

Awesome! Your recipes must be really refined with that much turnover.
Getting there but admittedly I've had a few dumpers. I made a IPA a few weeks ago with us05 and haven't used dry yeast for a few year's. It's got that peachyness others mention so that's likely going down the drain. Cheers

wow these prices are fantastic. sadly I just received big order from Farmhouse and won't be reordering for half a year or so. Will check back then for sure.

Back