Big extract batch from kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
Asking for a friend that posed the question to me...

Is there any issue with using 5 of the same kits (probably tru brew)
and doing a partial boil 6-8 gallons then topping up with water to the 25 gallon mark and fermenting them together in a large enough fermenter?

He does not have the gear for a full boil, all grain...etc. I had never heard of anyone doing this so thought I would ask for him.

You will lose some of your hop utilisation due to a smaller boil and top up, what sort of kits are they? Extract only or extract plus hops/specialty grains?

The only potential problem will be the limit on bittering. If he dilutes 4:1 after the boil, the beer will be limited to about 20 IBUs. If he wants a higher limit, he can pre-boil half of the bittering hops in 5 gallons of the top-up water. That would push the limit to 40 IBU.

I think he is wanting to do a Hoegarten (belgian white?) type beer so I dont think the ibu's will be too much of an issue.

Back