big difference in o.g reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmoo1302

Reaction score
ok, we did our 1st all grain( MB fire in the hole) ,grav. reading for the sweet wort was 1.040, o.g of the wort after boil and additions was 1.070, 7 days later( I drive a truck so getting home in time is a crap shoot), took a reading today and it was 1.022. Should the difference for that time period be so drastic? We are going to secondary tomorrow, should I be concerned?Used wl p002, ferm temps in the 62-68 deg. range, recipe called for an O.G. of 1.067-1.072, krausen has dissipated some what...............

I would leave it in primary for a while longer, most people on here will suggest a three week primary. take another gravity reading in a couple days. if it is still at 1.022 then wait 2 more days and take another, if it is still at 1.022 then your fermentation is probably done. then rack to your secondary.

Sounds like everything is going perfectly. One week from 1.070 down to 1.022 with WLP002 is just about perfect. I wouldn't transfer to a secondary until the krausen has completely fallen. It won't hurt to leave it in the primary for another week or two. In fact, it will help the yeasts to clean up after themselves and give you a better tasting beer.

-a.

Here's another vote for an additional week or two in the primary. The yeast will reduce diacetyl and other compounds that cause off-flavors in the beer.

The more reading you do around here, the less inclined you might become to use a secondary fermentor at all.

Some day we will stamp out "secondary". (Except for the winos, of course.)

Your beer is on track and another two weeks in the primary will do it.

Back