BIG APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browning348

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I started learning how to reuse yeast slurry and racking wort onto the yeast cake, simple enough. On my third yeast cake re use I had stepped my gravity up to the 1080’s. I ended up over shooting and hit 1090 SG. The beer dried out to 1012 leaving me with an enormous 10.25% American pale ale. I sampled the beer before bottling and it tastes fantastic. Are there any draw backs that I may be missing? It was very hot, so some age will be needed, but other than that I can’t find any.

Definitely no driving. What should i call it? It’s 2 row, Pilsner, rye, Vienna and oats.

Well if giving it out to friends I'd at least call it a strong ale so they don't get a big surprise. Might fit as a barleywine, guess it depends how it drinks. If you don't age it and crank up the finishing hops might pass as a DIPA or TIPA as long as it's bitter enough.

The hot alcohol taste sometimes smooths out with age, but if you age this you lose the hop aroma and character. So that would be one drawback of high alcohol hop-forward beers.

It has two late hope additions of cascade. 15 min and whirlpool. So maybe a hoppy barleywine [emoji23]

Latest posts

Back