BIAZB: Brew in a Ziplock Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melloworchard

Reaction score
I've recently tried something kind of crazy: Mashing in a ziplock bag using a sous vide stick and a water bath. Basically instead of a steak, you put your mash in a ziplock bag. I was interviewed about it by James Spencer on Basic Brewing Radio and did a little write-up about it with pictures over here: BIAZB: Brew in a Ziplock Bag

I'd love to know what you guys think.

It is an interesting idea. I am not sold on the idea that you need precise mash temp control and I am not sure I would invest the effort into step mashing with a 1 gallon batch. I have done a few 1 gallon batches either with wrapping the pot in a sleeping bag or sticking the pot in my oven. I was not 100% happy with either method.

I hope to do some more 1 gallon all-grain recipes. I recently picked up a 2 gallon beverage cooler from Home Depot for $10 (Rubbermaid Victory 2 Gal. Red Cooler-FG153004MODRD - The Home Depot) hoping that it would make mash temp control a tad easier and more consistent. I have not tried it yet, but I plan to do a few single grain batches...and maybe some trial recipe batches soon.

It is an interesting idea. I am not sold on the idea that you need precise mash temp control and I am not sure I would invest the effort into step mashing with a 1 gallon batch.

Thank you for your feedback. I would probably not do a step mash for a 1 gallon batch, either. With the big 2.5 gallon ziplock bags you could easily do a 2+ gallon batch and then it might be worth it for certain styles. Oh, and nice find on the 2 gallon cooler :)

Wow...that's a cool idea. They were a huge step up for me marinating things and work great as piping bags...
I never thought about brewing. So the plastic is food safe up to 170F apparently?

Wow...that's a cool idea. They were a huge step up for me marinating things and work great as piping bags...
I never thought about brewing. So the plastic is food safe up to 170F apparently?

I'm obviously not an expert, but I figured that the mash temp range is close to the temp range used for sous vide cooking, so it seems to be OK. Here's some more temp info:

> I usually brew 2.5 gallon batches...

What is your 2.5 gal setup? I moved to BIAB for 5 gal batch brewing a bit over 2 years ago. I then picked up a decent 5 gallon kettle and a pair of 3 gallon Fermonsters. This setup supports either single 2.5 gallon stovetop batches, or 5 gallon batches split (say with 2 yeasts). I also splurged on a pair of Torpedo 10L/2.6G kegs. The 2.5 gallon batches have been great for iterating over several versions of a recipe, or trying out new things. I then mix in standard 5 gal batches of more proven recipes (or right now I think I need to use up some of the hop stockpile in my freezer).

The kegs have been a bottleneck, and I have not prodded myself into spending $180 on another pair. I think I need to lean more toward bottling batches, and maybe shifting some brewing towards 1 to 1.5 gal batches.

I've recently tried something kind of crazy: Mashing in a ziplock bag using a sous vide stick and a water bath.
I was interviewed about it by James Spencer on Basic Brewing Radio
I'd love to know what you guys think.
I just listened to it this morning, I'm going to get a sous vide stick, some 2 gallon ziplock bags and see what happens with 2 and 2.5 gallon batches. I've been happy with stovetop BIAB, but
the sous vide stick could provide a more steady mash temp for not a lot of money.

The sous vide stick is really versatile. I use mine for 5g BIAB mashing to hold the temperature under a sleeping bag. Clips hold the bag off the stick and the circulation features works. I'm looking at 2.5g kegs so this seems spot on for simple brewing... thanks!!

The sous vide stick is really versatile. I use mine for 5g BIAB mashing to hold the temperature under a sleeping bag. Clips hold the bag off the stick and the circulation features works. I'm looking at 2.5g kegs so this seems spot on for simple brewing... thanks!!

I also have two 2.5 gallon ball-lock kegs and I really like them. Perfect size for me. I'm happy to hear the sous vide stick works well for you even without a ziplock bag/water bath :) Maybe I was just doing it wrong hahaha!

Back