BIABasket with hop spiders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earthson

Reaction score
Hey Guys. Ok, crazy idea here. Someone tell me if I'm out of my mind. I'm thinking of brewing a 5 gallon all-grain batch in a 10 gallon aluminum pot, with 3 hop spiders.

Reason: I'm currently using a mesh bag, and want to go to a mesh basket. The mesh BIABasket options here in Canada don't work because they are all too tall. My pot is 14 inches tall, and about the same in diameter. I could have one custom built, but I'm way too cheap for that BS.

Idea: The hop spider I just bought from amazon is 6 inches in diameter, and 14 inches tall. I'm thinking I could pick up two more, for a total of three. I'm thinking my grain bill will split fairly well between them.

So, thoughts? Concerns? Think it is ridiculous? Let me know.

20200808_165938.jpg 20200808_165944.jpg

One thing that comes to mind is that you'll have your grain less spread out and therefore more stacked vertically. I imagine this will compact the grain more within each spider. Between the compacted grain and the very fine mesh, i imagine the water flow and grain exposure to water will be reduced significantly. i would think about 40-50% of the water will spend most of its time outside the baskets (what is the kettle diameter?). Also i think temperatures may end being very different inside and outside the baskets. All this I would guess will lead to significant efficiency drop.

all guesses though... maybe give it a try and see what you get!

It will take FOREVER for the wort to drain through the basket. I bought a hop spider and it was terrible for hops. Can't imagine trying it for grain...

Back