Biabacus question (their website appears to be down)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkhanso

Reaction score
Plymouth, MN - terrible tap water for brewing
I'm putting together a recipe for a Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter (hopefully tasting as good as Waconia Brewing's version of this).

I have been using BIABacus but as a novice and not really understanding what I'm doing. The BIABacus website appears down, so I can't ask this question there.

When I enter in a recipe under "The Original Fermentable Bill Design" section and then see to the right of that under "What you will use..."

I made this recipe myself, so why does the "What you will use..." differ than the recipe? Is it because I have an adjustment for Evaporation rate (since I have a steam condenser) in section X? Or because I've also entered a value for KFL in section X? I'm wondering if I should just go by my recipe or by what BIABacus is telling me I should use.

Recipe:
10 lb 2-Row American Pale
10 lb Maris Otter
5 lb 60L Crystal Malt
4lb Flaked Oat
3.5lb Simson Chocolate Malt
1 lb Briess Chocolate Malt

BIABacus says to use:
8.17lb 2-Row American Pale
8.17lb Maris Otter
4.08lb 60L Crystal Malt
3.27lb Flaked Oat
2.86lb Simpsons Chocolate Malt
.82lb Briess Chocolate Malt.

The hops section is also off just a little (higher that the recipe for "What you will use...")

I'm wondering if I'm not using the BIABacus correctly.

Thanks.

Attachments

• BIABacus PR1.3U - Waconia Brewing Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter.zip
    250.5 KB · Views: 35
Oh dear, I was afraid this would happen. The owner of the site, Pat Hollingdale, passed away a few weeks from cancer. The intention is to keep the site going but obviously the web site license has expired.

It's late - I'll have a look at the file tomorrow.

Oh boy. I'm really sorry about that.
Hopefully someone takes up the torch for Pat.

The site is back up.

"What you will use..." is literally what you will need to make the beer. The major factor is the VIF (desired volume into fermenter) that you enter in Section B. For example, you entered 42.6 L and given the percentages of malts entered in Section C, you will need the "What you will use..." amounts to achieve the 42.6 L of VIF. This is the whole purpose of the BIABacus. In addition, I see that VIF is set the same as Section D VAW. These are not exactly the same. VAW is really the key to get the hop bill correct if you are copying a recipe. Unfortunately, it's not always known :-( Since you created this recipe, try removing the VAW and enter your target IBUs into Section D.

Finally, upload to the site now that it's up as there are much smarter persons there.

Last edited:
Back