BIAB vs All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukeziegler

Reaction score
Ok, I apologize if this has been addressed. I have seen some threads on All grain recipes being converted to BIAB, and I want to go the other way. I downloaded this Oatmeal Stout recipe from Beersmith's cloud, and it appears the author brewed this as a BIAB. Any adjustment to make doing a traditional mash and fly sparge?
(3 gallon batch)
5#12oz Brewers Malt 2-row
15oz carmel 120
15 oz Chocolate
15 oz Oats
2 oz roasted barley
1.6 oz cascade @ 60
.5 oz cascad Whirlpool

Would love some feedback. Thanks guys.

I recently switched from BIAB to all-grain. Only difference I really notice is efficiency. Adjust the grain bill according to your efficiency in order to hit the correct gravity.

Well, to me, BIAB IS all grain.
I follow the same recipe, just squeeze a bit and get 76-80% efficiency. Been doing this for years with no worries.
Yeah, makes sense. I wasn't sure if it made a difference.

BIAB can be AG, but it can also be PM.

Yes you can technically say partial mash is BIAB because you use a bag for grains that require mashing, but the same can be said for steeping grains with extract batches.

Generally stated though, BIAB is synonymous with all-grain. It's really a technique for brewing all-grain without the need of a mash tun, lauter tun and brew kettle. Everything is done in the kettle.

Yes you can technically say partial mash is BIAB because you use a bag for grains that require mashing ...
Wrong. You can do PM with a MLT.

... but the same can be said for steeping grains with extract batches.
Wrong. During steeping no conversion takes place.

Generally stated though, BIAB is synonymous with all-grain.
Wrong. BIAB is synonymous with another method of mashing. You can still add extract to the boil and make it a PM.

It's really a technique for brewing all-grain without the need of a mash tun, lauter tun and brew kettle. Everything is done in the kettle.
Wrong. It's not common, but some BIAB brewers use an MLT and drain into a kettle. BIAB is mashing grains in a bag, nothing more.

I think we're splitting hairs a little bit. If you use all grains and no extract, you brewed all grain, regardless of the mash and lauter method.

To the OP, you simply need to adjust the recipe to your system as is the case with any all grain recipe. By adjust to your system, I mean modify the grain bill based on your efficiency, and possibly your equipment.

To the OP, you simply need to adjust the recipe to your system as is the case with any all grain recipe. By adjust to your system, I mean modify the grain bill based on your efficiency, and possibly your equipment.

Thanks for the info. I have my equipment profile set up in Beersmith, so it adjusts for me when i scale to my 3 gallon all grain. I should be good to go.

Wrong. You can do PM with a MLT.

Wrong. During steeping no conversion takes place.

Wrong. BIAB is synonymous with another method of mashing. You can still add extract to the boil and make it a PM.

Wrong. It's not common, but some brewers use an MLT and drain into a kettle. BIAB is mashing grains in a bag, nothing more.

About a 9 on the tension scale there buddy.

Last I checked steeping grains are in a bag while you're brewing soo... that's brewing in a bag. Mashing isn't required to qualify for brew in a bag. Only a bag is required to brew in a bag.

You can add extract to an AG batch. I do it all the time.

Like I said before. Technically speaking, you're right, but generally speaking, ask nine out of 10 brewers what BIAB is and they will think you're talking about all-grain.

Speak for yourself. No tension on this side of the key board. Just stating the facts as I see them.

Last I checked steeping grains are in a bag while you're brewing soo... that's brewing in a bag. Mashing isn't required to qualify for brew in a bag. Only a bag is required to brew in a bag.
You can believe that if you wish. That doesn't make it true. Steeping grains in a bag has never been refered to as BIAB. (Except by you.)

Then you're brewing PM, not AG!

Like I said before. Technically speaking, you're right, but generally speaking, ask nine out of 10 brewers what BIAB is and they will think you're talking about all-grain.
But wait. Didn't you just say that BIAB can be steeped grains?

Yeah, lets ask. Hey HBT. Can you Partail Mash a BIAB?

JustLooking said:
Hey HBT. Can you Partail Mash a BIAB?

If we're nitpicking, I'd have to ask exactly what "Partail Mash" is.

To answer the question, you absolutely can partial mash BIAB.

And for the record (whether intentional or not) your "wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong" post came off as hostile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
Speak for yourself. No tension on this side of the key board. Just stating the facts as I see them.

Quote:
You can believe that if you wish. That doesn't make it true. Steeping grains in a bag has never been refered to as BIAB. (Except by you.)

Quote:
Then you're brewing PM, not AG

Quote:
But wait. Didn't you just say that BIAB can be steeped grains.

Yeah, lets ask. Hey HBT. Can you Partail Mash a BIAB?

You're so funny. They are the facts as you see them and BIAB can be interpreted many different ways. Last I checked there's no internationally accepted BIAB guidelines.

How do you know steeping grains have never been referred to as BIAB? Hey rest of the world, have you ever steeped grains in a bag while brewing?

Oh and adding 1/2 pound of extract to a 10 gallon batch to boost it by a point or 2 is far from PM, lol.

Anyway, this is one of those pissing matches that unfortunately arise here on HBT from time to time. I'm gonna brew and not toil over semantics. Argue with someone else that official BIAB requires mashable grains, with a conical bag on a maximum of two vessels with no less than 37.23% extract. This is just silly. You win, brew on!

Last I checked there's no internationally accepted BIAB guidelines.

How do you know steeping grains have never been referred to as BIAB? Hey rest of the world, have you ever steeped grains in a bag while brewing?

Argue with someone else that official BIAB requires mashable grains, with a conical bag on a maximum of two vessels with no less than 37.23% extract.

This is just silly.
At last. Something we can agree on. :D

I'm steeping a kit right now that does convert. Brewers best oatmeal stout states clearly in the instructions that conversion in the bag will take place. P.s. I sense the tension....hope I stoked it. I love a good internet slap fight via keyboard.:rockin:

I could be wrong as all I've ever known is mashing, so I'm not really clear on what takes place with extract/PM brews, but from what I've gathered doesn't "steeping" imply pulling out color and flavor from the grains without the conversion of starches? And if you're steeping with the goal of having some conversion take place, then you must also be "steeping" base grains to provide the enzymes needed for conversion, in which case you're actually mashing and not steeping. Am I wrong about this?

Are you not letting the grain sit in hot water for a set length of time at a set temp, in an MLT?
You are doing the same in BIAB but you are eliminating a peice of equipment that you have to remove the grain from, then disassemble your false bottom, disassemble your valve, and then clean the whole thing.

To make things a little easier, to remove the grain from an MLT you could add a bag to hold the grain.

With BIAB it is much easier to remove the grain from the wort, dump the grain, rinse the bag, and put the bag in the washing machine.

I would love to see someone try to put an MLT into a washing machine.

I would love to see someone try to put an MLT into a wahsing machine.

I think I've seen that thread on here somewhere :)

Edit to add:

No, it was YouTube:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ezq3XYGIg[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96RXpiu73Mc[/ame]

Back