BIAB sweet stout Pumpkin Pie mix???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RothRock

Reaction score
Ok so I'm brewing a sweet stout tomorrow and I want to flavor it with pumpkin. I was told to use a pumpkin pie mix to flavor it. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this. All suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks guys
cheers

When I did my BIAB pumpkin ale last year, I used two cans of pumpkin which I roasted. I then added the cooled pumpkin into my mash bag. I used pumpkin spice in the boil, but it sounds like the pumpkin pie mix will have all of your needed spices. Draining the bag took a long time, so be prepared! I ended up putting on gloves and manipulating the bag a bit to get it drained.

I've seen other posts/recipes that call for the pumpkin added in secondary so that might be worth looking into. I'm doing a 10 gallon sweet stout here soon, might have to follow your lead and do pumpkin in a split fermentation.

Here is my spice mix. I add at the end of the boil and another in the fermenter after a week or so.

1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 ginger
1/8 nutmeg
1/8 allspice

Here is my spice mix. I add at the end of the boil and another in the fermenter after a week or so.

1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 ginger
1/8 nutmeg
1/8 allspice

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. I'm no pumpkin beer expert, but I do know that pumpkin pie gets all its flavor from the spices, sugar, butter, and other whatnot added to the pie. Pumpkin itself is pretty stinking bland.

So I would hypothesize that one can obtain all the flavor one associates with pumpkin goodness by simply adding a spice mixture, and avoiding the pumpkin addition altogether.

What say ye?

Just a heads up to make you are getting what you want:

Commercially available Pumpkin Pie mix (Libby's, Store Brand, Etc) contains the following: Pumpkin, Sugar Syrup, Water, Salt, Natural Flavors, Spices. This mix is usually in a 30 oz can.

Libby's (and Store brand) Pumpkin is just pureed pumpkin. Just the pumpkin, nothing else. These are generally sold in 29 oz per can. The can's are the same size as the 30 oz.

1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 ginger
1/8 nutmeg
1/8 allspice

I'm gonna try this out. It just sounds better than trying to mess around with all that pumpkin mush in the bag and trying to get it to drain. I'll post pictures and keep this updated later today.
Thanks everyone it's nice to come on here and talk to people and have them give you good honest advice.
Cheers

1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 ginger
1/8 nutmeg
1/8 allspice

Is that for 5g batch or 10g? I absolutely hate any kind of pumpkin beer but my wife really digs them. I wouldn't mind doing a 1g batch for her though.

Back