BIAB Step Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fe_homebrewing

Reaction score
I plan on brewing Charlie Papazian's "Cucurbito Pepito" in a few days, and it calls for the below mash procedure:
  • Add 3 gallons of 130 degree water to the crushed malt; stabilize at 122 degrees and hold for 30 minutes
  • Add 1.5 gallons of boiling water and the mashed pumpkin; stabilize at 148-152 degrees and hold for 60 minutes
  • Mash out at 165 degrees
  • Sparge with 4 gallons of 170 degree water
I use a BIAB system and am wondering to what extent I would need to modify this procedure? Does it make more sense to add water in batches like described, or just use 8.5 gallons of water and heat it up in steps?

I use a BIAB system and am wondering to what extent I would need to modify this procedure? Does it make more sense to add water in batches like described, or just use 8.5 gallons of water and heat it up in steps?

I would add all your water and then just mash at the temps listed in the recipe. No need to keep adding water for BIAB.

I routinely step mash 143 and 163 to get a good fermentable wort.

10 pounds six-row pale lager malt
1 pound 20-40 Lovibond crystal/caramel malt
7-10 pounds pumpkin
The info from John Palmer is that a Protein Rest might be beneficial for a grain bill with a 20% or more unmalted high protein grains (wheat, oats, etc) but: "Unless you are using less-modified or moderately modified malt, the clarity and head retention of your beer will be better without a protein rest." I cannot speak much from personal experience, as it has been decades since I have done a Protein Rest.

I would skip the rest at 122F.

Back